Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: weight and balance tail wheel lifting

Default weight and balance tail wheel lifting

OK, Gang..........nearing completion SS7 and need advice on how to lift tail to level for weight and balance. The strength of my youth seems to have faded. I have thought of using the wing tie back tube to through bolt for a lift ring using an engine lift. also Harbor Freight has a hydraulic lift table which might work.....................so the question is how do I lift the tail for level ? And what kind of stand could be used or made to hold the tail wheel on scale when level ? (pictures)

Default Re: weight and balance tail wheel lifting

My tail only weighs 60 pounds sitting on the floor and 37 pounds when level for weighing. I can lift it by the handle and place the saw horse under the fuselage in front of the tail wheel spring then lift it the rest of the way by the tail wheel spring and slide the scale with the stand under the wheel with one foot.

I think the easiest answer is get a helper to lift it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

I put a saw horse next to my tail and lifted it at the TW spring and swung it onto the sawhorse. It would be best to get a friend if you help you.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

If you have rafters above you could use a ratchet strap with protective foam/blanket under fuse in front of horizontal and a come-a-long or hoist from above. Dont forget to chock the main wheels.
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind

I used a high-lift jack under the handle on the left rear of the plane. Be careful though because this lift point is somewhat off center and you will need some way (ropes, etc.) to keep the tail from trying to swing to the side.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Just curious, how much does a tail on a modern kitfox weigh?
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

My SS7 tail weighs about 100 lbs; but I have the heavy duty ABW tailwheel, and the speedster tail with all the extra airfoil ribs and fairings. I was surprised at how heavy the tail is. I don't lift mine up by hand either.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Okay that explains the lifting problem. I suspect the position of the main wheels being further forward than a stock model 4 gear puts a significant higher percentage of the total weight on the tail too.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Things have changed a bunch over the years. My A-Model Avid Flyer taildragger has an 11 lb tail weight. The empty weight of entire plane 396 lbs.

Bit in defense of our more modern models, the main gear has been raked forward quite a bit since the early Avid / Kitfox days resulting in even a light version can have a 60 lb tail weight. So the reality is that when talking about tail weights, one has to know specific landing gear model and/or axle center based on a common datum line.

I have the standard tail wheel setup that came with my SS7. Level it weighs 59lbs.
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind