Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Model 5/Series V

Default Model 5/Series V

Why is there so little information 'out there' on the Series V? I have found some but, that is after almost wearing out Google. Tons and tons of info on the 4's and 7. My understanding is that the 5 is the oldest model with the larger fuselage. More room sounds appealing but, I am not well heeled enough to be shopping for the super cool 7 Series. I have looked at 4's and older in person but, have yet to come across a 5 or newer. If anyone here can enlighten me, or head me in the right direction, I would be most grateful. And yes, to the best of my abilities, I have also searched this site.

Default Re: Model 5/Series V

Ramos
    The 5 is basically the predecessor to the 6 and 7. The fuse is pretty much the same with the exception of the strake in front of the fin and that the 7 can switch from tail dragger to tricycle. The SS may be different.
    You can pick up a 5 project if you are patient. They pop up about once a year or so. I picked mine up from this site in Aug of last year. There was one on barnstormers about 6 months or so ago. Be prepared to go get it...
    I spent 12 hours in a 20' UHaul to get mine...
    The guy I bought it from did a really good job on the areas he completed and that saved me a bunch of time!
    My plane is the jmodguy in the model 5 section of the albums. I am a bit further along and will be starting the fuse covering tomorrow.
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

I have a model 5, it was/is technically called a Kitfox Outback. This may be why you can not find much info on a series 5.

There used to be a history page on the old Kitfox factory website that gave info on the different models.

Maybe a computer guru or a site administrator/moderator can provide the history info into this thread or new one ?

There where early 5's with a 1400lb gross, later ones have the 1550lb gross.
    A few different names were used to differentiate mostly the landing gear configurations.
    I believe Safari and then Outback for the taildragger . ______ and Vixen for the Tri gear variants .
    The 5's come in one or the other and don't have the switchable landing gear configs. The model 6 was the first to have the ability to switch gear configs. If you buy a 5 kit you could add the weldments to the airframe before covering to make its gear convertable.

I was told that you could add most of the current model 7 features/upgrades to the 5 airframe, best would be on a kit not started or on a complete restore situation.

Upgrades that I think of are: the new firewall forward, engine mount and cowling. The larger elevator . The ability to switch gear configs.

There are some control changes that I can't remember the full details on, I believe the elevator control pushrod setup is different and maybe the flaperon profile ?

These are some things that I remember.
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW

I have a KF5 Outback that was built in 1999. I found it secondhand in 2013 on Barnstormers and snatched it up quickly. It is a tailwheel and not convertible, but I'm OK with that. My gross weight is 1550 pounds. The one I bought had a the airframe with every option available, a new Continental IO-240 engine and a Warp Drive prop that I sold and replaced. It also came with the one piece plexiglass turtle deck, which I really like.

I upgraded to the current (larger) elevator due to the heavier engine that came with it.

The elevator pushrod is different than the current production, I believe the new way allows for an extended baggage area.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Here's the link to the Kitfox History page. http://www.kitfoxaircraft.com/home/KitfoxHistory.htm

The new Kitfox web site has a link in the FAQ section but it seems not to work.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Thank you all for the added information and links. I did manage to find a bit more on the web by searching Classic IV and Outback. As far as I can tell, the cabin width was increased from 39.5" (Classic IV) to 43.0" (Outback). Does this sound about right? I will try to call Homedale tomorrow and see if I can get actual spec sheets on these two models. The factory could very well yield all kinds of useful information that I have yet to even consider. Thanks again and, feel free to add any thoughts.

I have the Vixen and made all the modes that KMACH spoke of. adding the main gear weldments and stiffening the fuselage was the hardest part but made the most difference. have the 7 FFW package but still need to get the bigger elevator.
    PS: this is my first time posting, so forgive any errors!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Welcome to the forum JRD. That is a real nice looking Kitfox you have there, are you close to being finished?

FYI, that is not a Vixen, unless you did some major rewelding of the fuselage. it looks more like the Safari or Outback. The Vixen is a trike and has a totally different looking tail. The post for the Vixen rudder/vertical stabilizer is angled back, not square to the fuselage like all of the other Kitfoxes.

What engine do you have in it?

Merry Christmas.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Nice looking bird, jrd. Possibly a Vixen changed over? Looks like a Vixen nosewheel leaning against the wall.

Yes this is a series 5 Vixen. Fabbed all the gear weldments and modified the tail. Did some beefing up of the fuselage to handle the landing loads. I have access to engineering and aircraft tooling at my job so that helped a lot. I did not use the Vixen strake but did weld more support in the vertical stabilizer. Have the 912 ULS with Grand Rapids EFIS and EIS. I still have to increase the area of the elevator by 252 sq. in yet, but still working at it. I am about 1 year away from first flight, as my job takes up too much of my play time!