Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: X oz

Default X oz

Well, I've been working hard a a number of fronts of late. But the most fun project has been planning a cross Australia (X OZ) trip in VH-RMQ. As most of you will recall, we launched her last October after a two year build and have now clocked up over 100hrs and feel we have it running pretty sweetly. So, it's time to put in some serious miles. As you can see from the Google Earth screen shot (below) the trip will be about 2,000nm each way and we are planing on it taking about 2-3 weeks. It will take us across the Strezleki, Simpson and Tanamai deserts, our destination being an Aboriginal Mission called Kalumburu, in the Kimberly region of Western Australia. We plan to meet up with friends on their catamaran up there - somewhere we can find a beach to land on and not too many crocodiles!.

Anyway, we plan to leave tomorrow and head to Broken Hill - if the weather allows us to get out of the valley! Along the way we will post to this thread for those interested. We are all loaded up - full fuel, Gayle and I and 66kg of gear. We are 688kg and 696.6 mm aft cg. 15 kg under MTOW and 9mm fwd of aft limits.

In case you don't realise, this is pretty remote country we are crossing. We have ELB, 2x spot trackers and three GPS navigators and survival gear. We have established a system of checking in and out each flight sector via spot with a group of friends. Given the remoteness and lack of internet coverage, there may be some big gaps between posts here. But rest assured, we are well stocked with cameras and have the GoPro out on the strut. (and the Ipad remote control app that Gayle will use to switch on and off as the scenery dictates.

So, fingers crossed for the weather tomorrow and hope you all enjoy the trip as much as we are going to. Welcome aboard!

Ross and Gayle
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

Default Re: X oz

Ross,
    Just curious how the fuel works out on a trip like that. Looks like some pretty long legs.
    - Gary
    S7 SuperSport Tri-gear
    w/Rotax 912, Oratex, Dynon

Great adventure! Looking forward to the posts. Good luck and enjoy!

Really looking forward to following along and reading your updates. I love doing these types of trips. The last one I did was 3000NM and always makes great memories.

I reckon with the 912iS you must be able to get almost 6 hours of endurance?

Good luck Ross!
    By the way, your 696.6 mm aft CG works out to be 27.4". I thought 16" was max aft CG? What am I doing wrong?
    Fly safe.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

You GO Ross!!

Living the dream.

Sounds Stunning!
    Will we be able to e-mail you on the trip?

I suppose that you are already on your way, given that you are ahead of me by most of a day????

Regards
    Reid
    Last edited by Rooster; 05-19-2016 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Greeting

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    Good luck Ross!
    By the way, your 696.6 mm aft CG works out to be 27.4". I thought 16" was max aft CG? What am I doing wrong?
    Fly safe.
    Sorry Jim 396mm aft - sound better - but thanks for the check - had me worried there for a little while! As for fuel - yes, it is a major consideration and takes some planning. Roadhouses have airstrips and usually stock premium unleaded. Also, the cattle stations will sell some Avgas if you plan ahead - they have helicopters for mustering cattle so they just order a bit more if you ask - expensive though! But you are right, the planning is very much around fuel...

Bit of fog around but looks like we will get away ok.

cheers

r
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.

Have a safe trip Ross. What an adventure! Sounds like you have done thorough planning.

I am now at 39.5 hours. Only 1/2 hour to go and I will be done with Phase I flight testing and off the "leash". Yesterday I did a flight to check the service ceiling and got up to 17,200' in 50 minutes. I think that is my personal altitude record.

Safe travels.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Long flight, have fun.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Night 1. Broken Hill

We got away ok but had to pick our way through some fog patches and low cloud until we got away from the hills.

The two fearless aviators!
    IMG_3582.jpg

And then we were out in the flat country that is looking fabulous now that it has rained!

IMG_3585.jpg

Hay is a pretty simple arrangement but they have fuel!

IMG_3586.jpg

And then the clouds finished and we were in the really remote areas - here is a station homestead - mostly several hundred or thousands of square kms.

IMG_3593.jpg

enjoying the night in Broken Hill before heading north tomorrow - we don't expect internet for a few days!

cheers

r
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ