Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Fuel draining at uneven rates

Default Re: Fuel draining at uneven rates

This may have been mentioned before but check the fuel cap seals,
    Yes I found out the hard way.

Jeremy, I was posting the same Q's as you about 12mths ago. While I certainly think it is prudent to eliminate all possible causes such as the suggestions here, I found that one tank will go down to just under the 1/4 full mark and then they start evening out - just as one of the wise old soles on this forum suggested. They way I found out was not on a long cross country but close to home - very close to home and just went up high and flew around for about 3/4 hrs - all within gliding distance. I am now confident of how it will even out , although I have to admit, it does keep you vigilant watching the gauges!
    And at the recent first annual, I removed the finger strainers in the tanks just to satisfy my curiosity about how clean or blocked they were ( they were clean, but now I don't fly along wondering!!)

Best of luck

ross
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

Ross, and Paul, thanks for the suggestions. I'll give those a try on the next flight(s), but perhaps I'll do some engine-out practise first, which is of course something I should be doing on a much more regular basis. Another great excuse to fly, not that I need one. And yes, you guys are more than half the world away, and I have no idea why I'm replying in the middle of the night.
    Jeremy Wilson
    Kitfox IV Speedster

I agree with Ross, they tend to even out at 1/4 or less, although I have run several times to less than 1/4 where the other tank shows zero and have never had an engine hiccup; I totally quit worrying about it.

I still believe the cause is flying with the ball somewhat off center, as well as slight differences in ram pressure in the cap vent tubes. I am still waiting for someone (maybe I will do it myself) to test various vent tube angles off of straight ahead to see what effect is has on fuel tank drain rates. I believe the testing could be easily done by slipping on a tight-fitting copper tube extension on the cap vent tube. Then bend the soft copper to various angles to test.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Actually it's caused by Coriolis, if you fly in Australia the other tank drains faster ...

I never worry about it any more, mine never runs out of fuel because I
    drink too much coffee.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by n85ae View Post
    Actually it's caused by Coriolis, if you fly in Australia the other tank drains faster ...

I never worry about it any more, mine never runs out of fuel because I
    drink too much coffee.

Jeff
    The perfect solution Jeff!