Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: airparks

Default airparks

Hey people! I didn't want to hijack the folding wings thread so I'll start a new one here. Who lives at an airpark or wishes they did? what are houses with and without handers or lots going for? HOA fees? I live at Sky Ranch Estates
    (really? estates?) in Sandy Valley NV. 3L2. 45 road miles from McCarran international airport. No state income tax and affordable real estate prices.
    A couple of houses with hangers available, one is listed at $250,000. The other has been listed for more than 10 years at 1.1 million, but it is HUGE with heli-pad on the roof. Several empty lots and two nice homes way under $100,000, one has two car garage, Kitfox size. HOA fees are right at $400 per year. That includes runway and taxiway maintenance(no streets, All are taxiways). Also included is water (community well). We are a privately owned public airport. I love it here, Very quiet, mostly vfr days
    (had one IFR day last year) and easy to get to anywhere from here.
    So where do you like?
    Steve

Default Re: airparks

Steve,
    I already posted some stuff on the folding wings thread, but like the idea of the airpark thread as I am pretty much glued to mine. I suppose folks that are interested will ask other questions than prices of homes. There are three or four airparks within about 50 air miles of Cameron Park and amenities are quite different in them. One for example requires a drive of about 45 minutes on mountain roads to a major highway or shopping.

I was going to post a reply to Ross' comment on the other thread -

"Sounds like the thought of palm trees are beckoning Josh ....'come to me, come to me, take off your freezer suite and let the sun make vitamin D ....'"

- But will do it here. We do have a palm tree. It is a volunteer that showed up soon after we moved in. The picture also shows our water starved lawn

Cameron Park 1.jpg

One of the more expensive homes. Their hangar is on the street behind their house.

Cameron Park 2.jpg

This house was worth close to a mill before the real estate collapse. The hangar door is the white door you see behind the trees to the right. The streets are 100 feet wide for two airplanes to be able to pass each other in opposite directions.

Cameron Park 3.jpg
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Not quite living there yet, but we have a lot (1.8 ac) in Westwinds Airpark, in Delta CO. In-ground utilities included, and we paid $55k. HOA dues currently at $800/year that includes runway & road maintenance as well as a share of the irrigation water (but I have no use for a lawn, might plant a couple fruit trees eventually). Mostly VFR days, 4-season climate, good mountain views, reasonable cost of living (my brother-in-law has been living there for several years). Planning to build in the near future.

Greg

Greg,
    Is that your place on Hawkins field. If so, I could find your place easy - just stay on US 50.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

What are the rules about your leaves and grass trimmings ending up on the taxiways? Can you get "fined"?

Quote Originally Posted by Esser View Post
    What are the rules about your leaves and grass trimmings ending up on the taxiways? Can you get "fined"?
    Your question brings up a funny story. In short, though no. There is nothing like that in the CC&Rs The only issue that has come up relates to the early days. With lots being sold and being country, there was the fear that some would buy a lot and park a travel trailer on the lot rather than build. That prohibition is in the CC&Rs. The bizarre part of that is that a few years ago, the travel trailer prohibition became a big issue and heavy pressure was put to on those who owned them to screen them from public view, whereas the enormous motor homes parked in the hangar aprons were ignored because nothing in the CC&Rs preventing them. At the time, I found it interesting that the CC&Rs cover not only the airpark, but surrounding homes without airport access and there was the source of the original complaints. All in all, though things are pretty mellow without all the drama that often arises in communities like this. In our eighteen years here, the only other issue that came up was over a home owner that brought in a light jet and the weight limits and potential noise became an issue. Otherwise it is a wave and smile at everyone community.

The funny story: My immediate neighbor to the left (East) owns a Cessna 206. The neighbor directly across the street (South) had two rather large maple trees on the corner of his corner lot. When a storm front comes through, the winds are usually southerly winds so as a result the falling leaves from those trees blow into the street/taxiway and occasionally onto my immediate neighbors lawn. Once when returning from a flight, the immediate neighbor did a high power 360 on front of his house which effectively blew all the leaves back where they belonged - under the maple trees.

One other thing that is significant. At some point the actual airport was deeded over to the county. It is no longer privately owned. This to enable us to receive federal FAA funds and protect us to an extent from the people who love to move into an airport zone, then complain about the noise. There have been no issues on that score since we have lived here.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

We don't have the grass clippings or leaf issues here at Sky Ranch. And only 15% of your lot can be grass. Grass has to be mowed and nobody wants to do that anyway. We are in the desert so water conservation is always followed. Lots of desert landscaping. Most lots on my side of the runway are only .44 acres and manufactured homes (mobile homes) I am afraid of trees that can send roots into my septic leach field. I also wasn't trying to start a real estate add with this thread I was just curious what others are/want to be doing. I like being at an airpark be cause it allows us to get up and fly before work or get home and relax in the air.
    Every Saturday morning many of us meet at the F.B.O for coffee. Sundays several people fly out for breakfast. Once a month we have a potluck BBQ at the F.B.O. And yes it is nice to see your neighbors smile and wave, not to mention when you need a hand with something someone will always be there with no expectations of compensation, just a neighbor helping a neighbor.
    The other side of the runway is stick built (framed) houses. Most of those lots are 1 acre or more.
    We are on an electric co-op so we pay $0.109 per kilo-watt.
    Cheaper than Nevada Power. It is a desert so summers can be hot but humidity usually is 15% or lower so evaporative coolers work. Winters can get cold, the first week I lived here the temp. got down to 10 degrees f. (-12.2 c) at night for a week. So A/C and heat are mandatory.

Lowell, we own two lots at that other place with the long commute, Swansboro. Cameron Park is very nice but out of my range.

I like the long commute to keep people out but it is a sketchy road with a 160 old wood suspension bridge that is scary. The County has funding to replace it, cutting our commute to 10 minutes. If it works out, my little lots should increase 5x.

Tim,
    I understand the privacy and security aspects of where we live and keep our airplanes. I have had a several experiences, though, with drop ins that have been very enjoyable. Last Saturday, a car stopped in front of my hangar door and curious I went out and talked with the occupants. There were four people in the car. The driver a resident of the US from India and the other three teenage visitors from India. They were driving around to see some things uniquely American. Not too long ago, a Japanese couple doing the same things came by. I was able to give the young man a ride around the area in my Kitfox. There is talk about putting a gate at the entrance to the airpark, but I don't think I would favor it. I am always in my hangar and really enjoy the regular drop ins along with the occasional visitors from outside. I have had people stop with their cars, then approach asking permission to take photographs of my airplane - some wanting to stand next to it to be in the picture. To me it is all part of the thrill of having a great airplane and hobby.

What the folks see from the street.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

I just thought of another reason to live in an airpark. The more people owning and living there the lower the HOA fees will be. At least where I live.