Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Oil change

Default Oil change

So I finally have 25 hours on my bird and it's time to change the oil as I run avgas with decalin additive.(old tanks) just curious what you guys think- change the oil filter every time or every other time? Seems like overkill to me- but that's just my rookie opinion Thoughts?

Default Re: Oil change

With what I have invested into my plane and engine I change both at 25 hours as most of the time I run Avgas also.

I agree with Jim.

Compared to the price of an engine, an oil filter each change is really, really cheap.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I agree! On everything I have, I change the filters with each oil change. I don't see the point in putting in fresh oil and leaving a potentially crappy filter.

Hi Guys
    I run the Mobil 4T Motorcycle in mine and change oil and filter every 50 hours. Always cut the filter and have never found any contamination of any kind (as it should be)
    Engine 1996 model 912UL with 525 hours. I run unleaded mogas non ethanol. Only use avgas when traveling. Compression high 140`s on all cylinders.
    Cheers
    Don

Just my opinion....I'd stick with the recommendations Rotax has developed for oil & filter change intervals.

They pretty much know their engines.

Sincerely,

Dave S

Do not re install an oil filter. The filter gasket is designed to swell with engine heat to seal properly. If you re install it , it may leak during flight. Do you really want to risk yourself and you plane for a few bucks. I would never do this on my farm equipment and it stays on the ground. Just my .02 worth.
    Eddie
    Flying a series 4 speedster
    Rotax 912uls whirlwind 75”

I change the oil every 25, filter every 50 and disassemble and clean the tank every 100. As I understand it the reason for the 25 hour changes is to deal with the lead that gets picked up in the oil. Not sure that much lead gets picked up in the filter so every 50 seems reasonable to me. When I cut my filters they seem clean and happy. I use a quick drain on the oil tank so the 25 hour changes take about 5 minutes.
    Last edited by Dorsal; 09-23-2014 at 05:11 AM.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive