Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Avid Amphibious Floats

Default Avid Amphibious Floats

Hey guys- just picked up a set of Avid amphibious floats with all the hardware- at least I believe they are Avids. Any advice or direction on these would be appreciated. Thanks- Scott
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Avid Amphibious Floats

Hi Scott, got a pair that look just like them but mine are straight floats and they were stated as avid floats. I dont have the rigging so there just sitting in the barn. Mine are about 12ft. long and that seems a little short to me but I have no float time. Wondering if you are putting them on a Kitfox or Avid?

My plan is to put them on my Kitfox. I have all the rigging as far as I know, but no instructions or plans. Don't really know anything about them- and from what I see so far, neither does anyone else

Scott - Reach out to member named Av8rPS about this. He is an old Avid Seaplane jockey from way, way back...
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Hi Scott, I am familiar with those avid amphibs. They are in fact Avid floats. I flew that float, although not an amphib, on an early lightweight (400 lb ew) Avid A model, and then later on a 600 lb ew Mk 4 Avid. The floats have good buoyancy, I would guess around 1200 lbs. So they would work well on early, lighter Kitfox models, up to a model 4-1200 imho. The downside of these floats is that they are not as strong structurally as most others, so if you put them on a kitfox with say more than 550 lbs ew on wheels, be careful not to pound them too hard in rough water, etc.

I also had a set of Avid amphibs just like yours, but sold them before I ever flew them. The gear is pretty well designed, but if I recall they are around 260 lbs empty weight, which is a bit heavy for a small float. But, it will still work just fine on the right airplane.

Thanks for posting AV8RPS- I really appreciate it. Do you have any idea where I can find some plans or anything that shows proper installation??

Thanks,

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by 68niou1 View Post
    Thanks for posting AV8RPS- I really appreciate it. Do you have any idea where I can find some plans or anything that shows proper installation??

Thanks,

Scott
    Not sure there is any documentation around for the amphibs, but I will dig through my old info to see if I can find something. No promises, and it will take me 3 or 4 days I'm sure, but if I do have any info yet I will get you what I have

If anybody runs across the rigging for the avid straight floats, im looking for some. Thought i saw just the struts once for sale for 100 bucks but when I checked the measurments with the mounts on the Kitfox they didnt fit. Wasnt sure what was up with that. Though the avid and kitfox mounts were the same.

Quote Originally Posted by bbryan View Post
    If anybody runs across the rigging for the avid straight floats, im looking for some. Thought i saw just the struts once for sale for 100 bucks but when I checked the measurments with the mounts on the Kitfox they didnt fit. Wasnt sure what was up with that. Though the avid and kitfox mounts were the same.
    The Avid only has three attach points per side and the later kitfox has four. So the strut attach is different (unless you have a very early fox). But you could probably make them work.

Well, I looked through all my papers and files and couldn't find anything giving install details on Avid floats. But I did find a few pictures of Avid floats, straight and amphib on a plane or two for visual reference. The picture out of the old Avid brochure I thought was good because it shows the position of the step on the Avid prototype.
    Attached Images Attached Images