Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thermostat or radiator shutters

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

Default Re: Thermostat or radiator shutters

I am a believer in preheating an engine when it is below freezing. pour oil out of an oil can sitting outside below freezing and one that is at room temp, there is a big difference in flow.

the metals of the engine itself will have tighter ,closer tolerances by the low temps .

I use a reiff 150 watt preheat system , at -15 C / 5 F it takes 4 hrs plugged in to get these pre-start temps: 67F CHT's ,57 F EGT's, oil 63 F, coolant 44 F .

I usually plug it in to a timer and give it a minimum 5-6 hrs of preheat before planned flight, temps are usually in the 80's F before prestart.

unheated hangar, cowl cover, reiff preheat 150 watt are the conditions.
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW

Quote Originally Posted by cap01 View Post
    what thermostat do they use and what temp do they regulate to ?
    The thermostat is set at 180°. I don't know the specific part number, but it is available locally possibly as special order as it is smaller diameter than those you will find in your cars. The internal bleed is modified on the side of caution.
    Lowell

Lowell - You will hear from me shortly for an order on this, but do you know what application the thermostat is - in other words, what type of car does it fit?
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Larry,
    I don't know the part number or application. I talked to Mark yesterday and he will email that info -
    I do know that the diameter is smaller in diameter than the typical auto thermostat to reflect our one inch lines. He mentioned that some parts houses keep them in stock.
    Lowell

lowell, with the 180degree thermostat , is that what you indicate for cht/water temp?
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

Chuck,
    In the winter, that is what the minimum temp gauge will indicate.
    Lowell

Hello

On a car engine the thermostat opens a bypass line so that there is a way that the pump can circulate the coolant through the engine and the heater.
    I have an old NSU Ro 80 and with te old system without bypass the engine had a lot of cooling problems.

For oil and water thermostats look at Silent Hektik ,the have them and there are some drawings with dimensions.

Eric

Folks with Coolant Thermostats,

I'm in assembly mode on my Vixen with Rotax 912ULS and would like to know where in the cooling system does the In-Line Thermostat go? (A Highwing product I believe).

It can go "after" the spider on the coolant's way to the radiator or just "before" the water pump. (If I mount it before the water pump
    I can use the coolant cabin heater hoses for a bypass).

Any and all experiences or opinions will be much appreciated.

Skot
    Kitfox Vixen 912 ULS
    N24V at C29

these poor little airplanes are bad in the winter time. air leaks!!!. I have my redneck ways when it comes to this little plane. I use heated air off the radiator. yup, a plastic oil funnel and scat tube into the airplane from outside. it does work pretty good down to 25 degrees f. after that , too cold. I also use a heated vest plugged into the battery. and thin gloves. If I had a thermostat this wouldn't work. I use a piece of aluminum with a couple after market ties for installing an air cooler on a car and stick it on and cover up the radiator. works like a charm. no weight, I'm very weight conscience. I love the performance of my plane. so no more weight than I need. I do have the oil thermostat way cool. and have the reise system for both the block and the oil tank. I leave mine on 24/7. I jump in the plane start and run to the runway and take off. about 5 minutes wasted.

one more thing, I remove the cowls and put a plastic wrap around the windshield bottom and around the firewall back to the door. this really helps out.

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

Hi,
    I dont think before the water pump is a good idea, the thermostat restricts flow at times which i think would be very hard on the water pump.

I have my thermobob thermostat about 8" above the radiator "IN" , after the expansion tank.

No room on my setup to have it closer to the expansion tank on my setup.
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW