Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Respirator Filter ??

Default Respirator Filter ??

What kind of respirator filter is recommenced when spraying the poly fiber products? Thanks
    Brian

Unhappy Re: Respirator Filter ??

This is what i used. Can't tell if additional brain cells have been lost.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind

Default Re: Respirator Filter ??

I have been spraying lacquers and all types of paint for planes for the past 30 years, I can tell you from my experiences the only way to be sure you are not doing harm to yourself, brain and lungs, is to use a fresh air supply system. When you are building and spending well over 30-40-50 thousand for your project, spend the $$$ for fresh air and might just be around to fly the plane for many years.
    Just one man's opinion.

This is the system/unit I use.

CITATION 4

Combined 4 Stage HVLP Sprayer and Air Supplied Fresh Air Respirator

There are others for less $$, as always you get what you pay for.

Jim

Take the material data sheet into a reputable retailer of painting products /accessories.dont risk guessing,they will supply the correct filters.Get it right!
    As has been suggested get as much fresh air as possible.Airbourn toxins will take many paths (eyes,skin etc) I know first hand

I use a mask much like the one shown in the picture. What I also do is have a filtered opening that is about 18" square going to a window in the back of the garage and a 20 inch box fan setting under the closed garage door. I block in on the sides of the fan so the opening is closed off. When I'm painting, I run the fan and pretty much all the fumes get sucked out from the fan. I have plastic suspended from the ceiling of the garage stall so it's separated from the rest of the area. This of course wouldn't work good if the weather isn't cooperating. In the first picture, you can see the filter, gray colored. Next pic is garage door and fan. Maybe kind of cobbled up, but it works fine for me. The plastic is rolled up and tied to the ceiling when I'm done, so it's there when I need it next time. JImChuk

PS I only use this for poly fiber stuff, and not the aerothane or anything that is really dangerous.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by avidflyer; 07-15-2017 at 09:22 PM.