Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: question ?

Default Re: question ?

I think you are mixing apples and anchovies.

Building a kit plane is an educational construction project requiring familiarity with tools. Flying skills are not necessary.

Learning to fly is an educational, motor skill development activity. It is not necessary to build a plane in order to learn to fly.

If you plan on doing both, learn to fly first. It may change your choice of aircraft as your flying experience evolves.

John P.

sounds like my shop just got a little bigger, I am the builder doesn't cost much more for a few extra feet. I know if I don't build one I will regret it, I actually wanted to build a ultra light about 10 years ago but couldn't afford it. my boss at the time built a small plane from wood, that is what got me interested. I am not set on the trike, i like the looks of the tail dragger we will see. I have looked into stick and rudder they are only 6 or 7 hours away. I am very motivated, I have built 4 houses on the evenings and weekends, from concrete to roof, by myself. i am sure i can build the plane its just the electrical and avionics that scare me a little. there is a series 5 kit with a rebuilt fuel injected 914 on trade a plane. seemed a little expensive, thought i read on here used kit was worth about half of new. they are asking 19000 for kit and 6500 for engine, would probably make a offer but i really cant store it till next fall. willy

Quote Originally Posted by nidaho View Post
    I could get my license with the local air port in a 150 or 172, I have looked into stick and rudder and thought that also to be an option. I am going to build a trike gear I think. only question about the trike was if I could land at all the grass strips that tail draggers could, the strips looks pretty nice from the pictures.
    I've flown nose draggers for 30 years. As a recent tailwheel pilot I beg you to put the wheel where it belongs on a Kitfox! it just doesn't look the same and the taildragger is very tame.

When you are sitting in your rocker amazed that your 90th birthday has arrived, be able to look back on adventures and accomplishments rather than things you wish you had done!
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

Quote Originally Posted by David47 View Post
    If you've wanted to build for 5 to 6 years, you won't be satisfied unless you do it. I quit flying (low hours) 20 years ago and finally took the leap last year and ordered the SS7 kit ...... before I restarted flying. If in your shoes, I'd start the build and then start flying when you're approaching the end of it. It's a good idea, I think, to learn to fly other aircraft types and also to operate into and out of sealed, gravel and grass strips. A rounded experience is a good thing. Whichever way you jump, good luck with the decision. Just my thoughts.
    Your story is my story. I hadn't flown for about 20 years - trained in a Cessna 170-Back in 72, build a Model IV in the 90s, Did the BFR in a Citabtria, Hired Robin Reid to fly the first five hours then he checked me out in N96KL and I flew off the rest.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by jtpitkin06 View Post
    I think you are mixing apples and anchovies.

Building a kit plane is an educational construction project requiring familiarity with tools. Flying skills are not necessary.

Learning to fly is an educational, motor skill development activity. It is not necessary to build a plane in order to learn to fly.

If you plan on doing both, learn to fly first. It may change your choice of aircraft as your flying experience evolves.

John P.
    That is an outstanding way to explain it John. I'm going to remember that the next time I get asked this same question...which seems to come up a lot.