Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: X oz

Default Re: X oz

Ross,
    A big reason for choosing the Kitfox, and a goal for the future, is the idea of doing camping trips with our plane. That's probably the major reason my wife is so supportive of the build. We would enjoy hearing more of the camping experience from this epic trip of yours if you have the chance.
    - Gary
    S7 SuperSport Tri-gear
    w/Rotax 912, Oratex, Dynon

Yes, I also enjoyed following along on your trip. I look forward to the videos.

It really is amazing what we can do with a plane that comes in a box

I'm curious what performance you are getting with that prop, and if you'd do that again? I apologize in advance if I missed that info elsewhere

Paul

First Gary - I think the camping is a good topic that a lot of people are interested in so I will start a thread here - there are a lot of people here who have a lot of experience of camping in the Kitfox and I think we could all learn from each other about equipment etc.

Paul- re the prop - In cruise setting (24"MAP, 15.6 lpg and 5000rpm) I get about 103kts TAS. That is with 26" tyres and the Airmaster CSP). Take off roll and climb seem to vary a lot according to temps and loading but when light and on a a cool day I get off in well under 100m - more like 50-60m - and climb at about 800-1000fpm. Heavy and on a warm day it can take 150m to get airborn and the climb is more like 500-600fpm. I really dont have experience of other configurations but it certainly seems to give me all I want/need.

cheers

ross
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

Ross,
    Thanks for posting this great trip thread. It was really interesting following along with you and Gayle. I'm wondering, after all that flying, would you and Gayle do it again?

I'm also curious what your average fuel burn was for the trip with the 912is. I'm sure the Airmaster prop helped, but it would be a good data point.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

Welcome home, Rossir! Safe and sound, a testament to the plane and her crew. 41,000 miles is a long way! . I'd be curious about the fuel burn with the 912is. Just wondering how it compares to the 912uls in real world numbers. I'm averaging about 3.7GPH. Thanks for taking us along on your fantastic trip!

It was enjoyable to follow your flights and see the great pictures of areas that we will never get to. Glad you and Gayle are home safe. I laughed when you mentioned how warm and humid it was at the north coast.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Thanks for picking up the slight mistake Doug! what's and extra '0'!!

As for the fuel burn with the 912is - We averaged 17lph - about 1.5lt more than we were getting flying local. We put it down to the extra weight - nearly always at MTOW.

Would we do it again? Yep sure - already talking about other sections of the continent - we really only went up and back through the red centre and there is a lot left to discover. And nearly all of it is outside any controlled airspace. We think that we will select a couple of spots to fly to and set up camp for 4-5 days and fly the local areas. In the meantime, we need to catch up on some work and attend to my sons weeding next weekend.

Thanks for all the interest - its a pleasure to share it with you all.

cheers

r
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

Quote Originally Posted by PapuaPilot View Post
    Have a safe trip Ross. What an adventure! Sounds like you have done thorough planning.

I am now at 39.5 hours. Only 1/2 hour to go and I will be done with Phase I flight testing and off the "leash". Yesterday I did a flight to check the service ceiling and got up to 17,200' in 50 minutes. I think that is my personal altitude record.

Safe travels.

Hello,
    I just bought a KF-5 with an IO-240 and it needs a prop, wondering if you can share some insite for me? Last owner told me to call Senich but I wanted to ask a few others with IO-240's but I cant find anyone else.

I fly from sea level, most flights would be 2000 to 5000 ft. I like fast climb and take off, but still want a good cruise,

Thanks

I have a Catto prop that is a 74 x 47. When I ordered it I asked them to make one balanced between a climb and cruise prop. I'm really happy with it.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Hi Jeff , welcome to the IO-240 minority. here is a copy of a response I recently sent to a new IO-240 powered owner: There are a few of us out here that love this aircraft/engine combo. I finished my Series 5 Outback back in 2003 and can't believe that I have been flying it for 13 years already. The IO-240 has been bulletproof in the 750 hours I have flown it so far. As far as my prop history goes , I started with a warp drive (Skystar recommended prop) never got installed as it was found not to hold up to the IO-240 power pulses and developed cracks. That prop was sent back and I bought a Sensenich W74EK-2-58. this is a 72 inch dia. prop (thats what the -2 means-2" cut off from the 74 " prop at the factory) This prop only only developed about 2200-2250 static rpm at full power on takeoff. I called Sensenich and they recommended trimming the prop , so I got up some nerve and took a saw to the blade and trimmed 3/4" from each end-it got static rpm to 2300-2350 and helped takeoff perf and is my most of the time prop. I was very careful and used a fine furniture builders hand saw to make the cut , then sanded the tips to the same profile they were before and added some epoxy varnish to the cut areas. i did not rebalance in any way with no noticeable vibration change. Jeff hays , another I0-240 guy on the list had the same prop and did the same thing to his. My takeoff distance solo from grass is around 350' and I cruise at 115 to 120 mph at 2400-2500 rpm variable with alt and temp. I live in snow country in western NY so I fly on skiis in the winter and needed a good up and out prop for winter ops so I bought another Sensenich prop which is my climb prop. it is designated W74EK-54 and is a true 74 inch dia. With this prop , my static RPM is 2400-2450 RPM and is a good climb prop. Cruise speed will suffer by 5-10mph with this prop which isn't a problem since I stay close to home in the winter anyway. As far as recommended torque values go, Sensenich says for AN6 bolts (3/8'') 200 +/- 25 inch-lbs and thats what I use. Like you I have always wondered about other props like a Catto or whirlwind, but at what they cost, I need to know exact specs from someone operating an IO-240 with those props to see if there would be a significant perf increase. There is a guy Phil on the list who recently completed a Series 5 with an IO-240 who is using a Catto prop but I haven't gotten enough specific data from him to make the buy. I would lean toward the Catto as guys seem to love them. It would mean no more seasonal retorques and flying in rain wouldn't erode the prop -which are 2 of my wood prop complaints. Can you tell me the history of your vixen, I thought I knew of all the IO-240 guys out there but didn't recognize your handle when I saw your post on the list. Any help you need don't hesitate to holler. I still really enjoy my airplane after all these years and know I built the right one for me. see ya later Bruce N199CL