Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Why is my landing gear so long...?

84KF

Default Why is my landing gear so long...?

What's up with the spring gear on 84KF?

The original packing list from Sept. 1994 calls it out as
    "Landing Gear, Spring, Kit; S5 TD"

...the specific part as
    "13015.101 Main Gear, Alum; S5 TD"

Then look here... http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/alb...&pictureid=262

It is taller than most gear I see in pictures of other 5's.
    Was there a design change after mine? Was there more than one size available back then?

I've measured and compared to the Grove Gear specs at http://www.groveaircraft.com/landing_gear.html but I am still confused. I'm ASSUMING it's Grove. (???)

I like what I have, this question has just bugged me from the beginning.
    Last edited by 84KF; 11-08-2008 at 07:15 PM.

Default Re: Why is my landing gear so long...?

Steve , there were "long" aluminum landing gear available a few years back. Did you buy your kit from someone else or direct from SkyStar ? Might have been purchased separate from the kit. Could be it's a Hammerhead landing gear. They were competitors of Grove but no longer make gear for aircraft if I got my story straight. I put a Hammerhead gear on my Model 3 in 99. If it is a Hammerhead gear it is made with 7575 aluminum so should be a good gear. You sure got clearance for your prop either way. Maybe someone installing a Rotec radial would love to trade you .

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

84KF

Steve,
    The spring gear is original, as in... was included in "the big 'ole box 'o parts".

I see in the Skystar installation drawing (Oct. 95) there are 2 part numbers applicable....13013.101 and 1310.201 As mine is called out in the (Skystar)packing list as the .101, perhaps the .201 version is the shorter of the 2.

Just thinking here..... is there a different preferred length requirement for a nosewheel equipped 5 as compared to a taildragger?

It is an excellent gear. My feeling is that it is the correct length for the taildragger as the aircraft sits in the proper attitude for maximum takeoff and landing performance...especially sloooow 3 point landings. If you see anything but sky out the front just before touchdown....you need to slow down. Do it right and ground roll is down to nothing.

The downside is that when wheel landing (a must (my opinion) on pavement or w\crosswinds) you had better hold the tail up until forward speed is absolute minimal 'cuz if you let the tail just come down on it's own it wants to fly again at that high angle of attack.

Moderate braking, and agressive foward stick pressure together will produce very short landing rolls, although you may feel as though you are falling backwards when the tail does come down.

And nope.... no trades. I love my "extreme machine".

Hey great idea in fact I'll swap you with mine as I need a long gear like that. Mine is too short for the large prop and lower engine centre line.
    My gear is the standard Grove gear. As seen in the "Kitfox royale" thread.

Could you please measure the vertical distance from the ground and the horizontal section of the gear, include the wheels?

84KF

Here ya go Paul.....

... and about 75.5" from center of tire to center of tire.
    ... 33" from center to center at the Gear Rockers.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 84KF; 11-09-2008 at 07:27 PM.

You Have a Safari gear, longer, or higher what ever, My 1994 safari came that was, some people did not like it so skystar shorten the gear, but it won,t pass the 4 foot drop, prop will hit the ground, Have had no proplems with mine,

The tall gear if I remember correctly was first and then the Grove gear was used. I talked with the owner of the former Hammerhead twice and he told me he did NOT sell any gear to kitfox. His and Groves are supposed to have a serial # on the back side of the center. From what I can see. mine doesn't have one. I am in process of checking other avenues that I have run into to find out who actually made them. I am near the plant and used to work Kitfox in Mod 3,4 days. and am attempting to contact others from that time. In my case I did shorten the legs about 1.5" and then put on alum. spring for the tail wheel which raised it up. I am thinking of having it redesigned to lower and wider if I can find the composition of the metal for heat treating. Grove may do it if I can get the right info.

I believe it's raw 6061-0 ..then formed ..then heat treated to T-6 spec at 1500 with slow cool ,.if they add any components during the heating process I am not sure.

Chase

that gear looks to be 1 inch thick ,..isnt grove gear 7/8" thick?

just curious

Chase

I have the long gear also. My kit is from February 1995. The gear is 1 1/4 inch thick, 64 inches between the legs at the axles & 33 1/2 inches tall. The packing list says part number 39025.000 landing gear, spring kit S5 TD. I also noticed that it looks taller than most gear that I see in pictures.
    Jim
    Series 5 0-200
    Lake Elmo Mn