Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Strut attach brackets measurement

Default Strut attach brackets measurement

I am about to secure the front and rear strut attach brackets
    to my super sport but see a discrepancy in the manual for the
    distances from the root. The picture shows 94.5 inches for rear
    and 95 inches for front. The written instructions say 94.25 and
    94.75 inches respectively. Does it matter before I continue ?
    Thanks
    Bob
    S-7 Super Sport, Flying
    Phoenix,AZ

Default Re: Strut attach brackets measurement

Hi Bob,

My understanding is that the measurements are a starting point when the temporary clamps are placed to hold the lift strut brackets at this point in the rigging.

When you get the wings mocked-up to the fuselage, a person then measures & adjusts the dihedral and slides the lift strut brackets on the spars to get them to match up with the rod ends. The rod ends should be installed to the correct depth into the lift struts prior to this point.

Maybe sit back with a cup of coffee and re-read the manual ahead a ways and I think the nominal nature of the starting point location of the lift strut brackets will make sense.

FWIW, although I have an earlier series 7, my manual says 94 1/4 and
    94 3/4 inches in both the text and the drawing.....the critical part is to be absolutely sure the difference between the front and rear spar brackets stays at 1/2" during the dihedral adjustment; and, that the correct match up is achieved by moving the lift strut brackets.

Sincerely,

Dave S
    KF7 trigear Flying
    912ULS Warp Drive
    St Paul, MN

Thank you Dave! It's a very clear task for me now.
    Warm regards,
    Bob
    S-7 Super Sport, Flying
    Phoenix,AZ

My SS7 manual (early 2011 vintage) says 94-1/4 and 94-3/4 in both the picture and text for the starting locations.

Jim

Smile Re: Strut attach brackets measurement

Having just completed rigging the wings, I remeasured the strut bracket distances and found the picture was closer than the text. 94.5 inches for the rear and 95.0 for the front. This being for the super sport. I'm finally moving on to the next phase of build.
    Bob
    S-7 Super Sport, Flying
    Phoenix,AZ

I have a question regarding the spar insert riveting, as it relates to the position of the lift strut attach brackets. After laying out the spar insert rivet pattern, the manual instructs to temporarily clamp the lift strut attach brackets to the spars (at 94-1/4" and 94-3/4"), mark their outlines on the spars, remove the brackets again, and then eliminate any spar insert rivet locations that fall within the outline of the attach brackets. My question has to do with any rivet locations that are close to, but outside of, the attach bracket locations. How much movement can I expect on the attach brackets when rigging the wings to the fuselage? I don't want to set any spar insert rivets that might end up interfering with needed movement of the attach brackets during rigging.

I think when we moved ours is was about 1/2 an inch of movement max if even that much. The manual gives you a good starting point and a little movement goes a long way.

A tip I have for anyone doing this, get a 1 ratchet strap and hook it from your fuse to your strut attach. If you need a little movement, you can crank a way bit to pull it in very evenly without banging etc.

If there is any question about a rivet being too close to the bracket, just leave it out. No problem installing it later.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Thanks for the guidance.