Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Cleveland Brakes Master Cylinder Kit

Default Cleveland Brakes Master Cylinder Kit

I've found after 700 hours that my Cleveland Brakes Master Cylinder may need a little attention. The brakes are a little softer than I like and at times (not always) have a little problem with taxi. The model is 10-88, however the Illustrated Parts List also show this listed as 10-49, 10-50, 10-54, 10-54a, 10-55, 10-55a, 10-55b and of course 10-88. I don't know the difference, if any between the different models.

I'm looking to purchase a couple of Repair Kits, Part #199-516 but can't seem to find them. Does anyone on the forum have a suggestion of who to contact for the kits?
    Paul Morel
    912 Speedster

Default Re: Cleveland Brakes Master Cylinder Kit

Paul,
    Sounds like air in the lines to me. Have you tried bleed them? A little unusual for both to act up at the same time. Just thought I'd give you an idea to try first.
    Eddie
    Flying a series 4 speedster
    Rotax 912uls whirlwind 75”

Thanks for your reply but it's not air. I say that because I have noticed a little fluid residue around the snap ring. I suspect the "O" rings/seals are worn to the point to where they need replacing. The repair kit consists of only 1 Stat-O-Seal and 3 O-Rings.
    Paul Morel
    912 Speedster

I hope everyone with Cleveland brakes 10-88 can use this information for their Kitfox. I crossed referenced the part numbers from the parts list for the "O" rings with the Aircraft Spruce catalog.

AN6227B-7
    AN6227B-10
    AN6227B-9

I ordered 4 of each and it was under $3 total....Yea Baby!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Paul Morel
    912 Speedster

Hey, thanks for the Cleveland info. To clarify, you are referring to the O rings for the 10-88 master cylinder?

While we are talking about brakes, do you or anyone else know what parts or kit I would need to fix the brake caliper mechanism to prevent oozing of fluid on the hydraulic Cleveland brakes? Is there a rebuild kit or standard parts to get that are the usual things to replace?

Also, are the translucent plastic brake lines robust enough for brake lines?

Thanks much,

Skot
    Kitfox Vixen 912 ULS
    N24V at C29

Skot,

I don't know if this is the answer you're looking for. Parker/Cleveland Wheels and Brakes has this terrific pdf file that lists all of their parts right down to the last "O" ring. If I'm understanding your post correctly, it sounds as though fluid is seeping past the "O" ring on the puck of the cylinder assembly. Check page 3-5 from the link below, to get an exploded view of a brake assembly. Be sure the part you're looking at is the correct assembly for your airplane. You can get the part number and order it or even cross reference the number with Aircraft Spruce to get the replacement part.

http://www.parker.com/literature/Air...BPC0001-15.pdf
    Paul Morel
    912 Speedster