Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: fuel tanks question

Default fuel tanks question

I have called kitfox but they not returned any of my calls so here is my question. Why are the older fuel tanks not usable with AV gas. The kit is a complete kit (it's a 5 ) from 1996 so they are the older type , a lot of people are saying not to use a sloshing sealer in them because it doesn't work . Don't forget I am new to this forum and have not been involved in these types issues till now
    Thanks
    Maxflyer

Default Re: fuel tanks question

There should be no issue using Aviation Gasoline (100LL) in the "old" style tanks.

The problem with the "old" tanks is they are not compatible with oxygenated or automotive fuel containing ethanol. These compounds will dissolve the resin used in the "old" tanks. This is why the "sloshing" compounds are used to buffer the fuel from the tank material.

If you use the term "ethanol" in the search function at the top of the page, you will have reading material for days and days on this topic...
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Quote Originally Posted by maxflyer View Post
    I have called kitfox but they not returned any of my calls so here is my question. Why are the older fuel tanks not usable with AV gas. The kit is a complete kit (it's a 5 ) from 1996 so they are the older type , a lot of people are saying not to use a sloshing sealer in them because it doesn't work . Don't forget I am new to this forum and have not been involved in these types issues till now
    Thanks
    Maxflyer
    Max,
    Sorry if we have missed your call. I do not recollect a message regarding fuel tanks. Larry has the correct response. You should have no issues with av-gas in the older tanks.
    John McBean
    www.kitfoxaircraft.com

"The Sky is not the Limit... It's a Playground"

Thanks AV8r3400 for the responce back on the tanks . I am using a C-85 or 0200 an needed to know before starting the wings , I like to have every correct thing there before starting any part of a project. This will be the third Experimental I have built and in the past I have always had all the correct parts there before starting any area of build I am working on.
    There is one more question and that is the push tub for the controls to the elevators would you know is it 6061 or T-2024, the one I got with the kit was cut by the first owner not sure why and he primed it so I can't tell what it is.

Thanks
    Maxflyer

Looking to the future, I would buy the newer tanks from Kitfox. It's an added expense, but a good investment. No one knows what fuels will be available in the future and EPA and Faa are currently looking to replace 100LL. What mixture and additives will be in the new fuels no one knows, or what effect they will have on the old style tanks. If you have not installed the old tanks, I would replace them.