Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: She flies! She's flies!

Default She flies! She's flies!

After several months rebuilding my Type III which collided with a road sign while trailering, she's an airplane again and not just a bunch of miscellaneous airplane parts adorning my garage. I flew her for a short time today. Although the rigging appears to be pretty close, I didn't get a chance to feel her out as the door flew open on downwind. It may be a little left wing heavy, but not a big thing. The weight and balance came out right at the forward limit. I didn't add any ballast. The airplane is 60 pounds heavier than when it was originally built. I can't figure out where that came from, but it's been around for 22 years. She weighs 722 pounds empty, with coolant and oil.

Some time ago, there was some discussion as to how to solve the difficulty of aligning the main tires with the trailer when loading her up. I've got a solution which works great for me, and I don't have to keep repositioning the plane to get in on the trailer. Simple........, just uncouple the trailer from the hitch and move the trailer to line it up. Works great, and usually only takekes one alignment.

Cheers everybody, I can't stop smiling,
    Chuck Gruby
    Petal, Kit Fox III Flying

Default Re: She flies! She's flies!

Congrats!

Good to hear you're in the air again! Congrats on getting through a difficult repair.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

This airplane was built by Jack Bally in Dixon, IL, about 100 miles South of you. I wonder if you two may have met?

An interesting thing,............. He is building a scale version of a B-17. It's all metal, on the gear and the last time I talked with hime, they were putting in the electrical system. Go to Bally's bomber and take a look.

Cheers,
    Chuck Gruby

Many thanks,
    Chuck Gruby

congradulations! and thanks for letting us know about the bally bomber. I just looked the website. wow! what an amazing undertaking. i'll have to follow its progress.
    ken

Hey Chuck, I don't know Jack (too true) but I've heard of him and his B-17 project. I couldn't make our chapter visit to his shop last fall, but I've heard the project is amazing.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med