Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Battery Electrolyte

Default Battery Electrolyte

I am about to put my battery into service. It is the lead acid battery that shipped dry with my IV FF kit in about '03. Does anyone know how much electrolyte is needed to charge it. I see that A/S has 2 and 3 qt containers available.

Also, any tips on the process of activation and initial charging? And . . . if this battery does not work what are my other options that will fit in the plastic battery box.

Thanks!

Default Re: Battery Electrolyte

For what it is worth I took mine down to the local motorcycle/atv/snow-machine shop and they filled it for free. Though it worked fine I have since switched to the AGM version sold by Kitfox (fits in the box nicely)
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

I just called a local ATV/motorcycle service department and they told me they would fill it for free!

Thanks for the top Dorsal!

BTW, I am not thrilled about having a wet battery suspended over my feet while flying but I'm going to use it for now. Should a tube be attached to the small "overflow" fitting on the battery and if so, where should it be led?
    Last edited by henrysamson; 01-12-2012 at 02:40 PM.

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

I too did not like the idea of a liquid acid battery. I opted for a gel cel battery that was the same dimensions and a little more powerful.
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW

Do you have a manufacturer and model number for the battery you are using?

Get rid of it, save weight and elminate the potential for corrosion due to leaked acid. AGM batteries really are an improvement in technology.

-- Paul S

I'm using an Odyssey PC625. It's maybe a little oversized for my 582 installation.

-- Paul S

I am running an Odyssey 680 in my 912 Model 4. Spruce sells a nice box for it also. It's a dry cell battery so no acid to wory about. Also you can mount it laying on its side which gives you a little more flexibility when mounting. I have mine mounted on the passenger side laying down above the passengers feet. Big money but I know lots of guys who use and swear by them. I have had mine for less than a year and nothing but posatives thus far.
    Cain B

I second the Odessey battery idea. (Batterymart $98 free shipping) If the weather is good on the 21st, I am planning on flying to the EAA meeting so I can show you how I did mine. I laid it flat since it is on the left side. It gave me more foot room that way.

Jerry

I did the same thing w/ my Odessey by lying it down on the right shelf. This is what did to fasten it down.
    Batt.jpg
    Dan B
    Mesa, AZ