Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stabilizer Strut Fairings

Default Re: Stabilizer Strut Fairings

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    Looks nice. What is the chord length overall front to back?
    Hey Jim, I went and measured and forgot to post a few days ago. I believe 1.75ā€ was what I measured. Iā€™m not at home now
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

I also just bought the jury strut fairings from Lowell Fitt and they are amazing.

Brett

I just finished installing fairings over my horizontal stabilizer struts. I ordered plastic fairing material from Quad City Aircraft, 5' of their smallest size. It is sized for going over 1/2" round tubing, but it works over the 5/8" tubing on the horizontal stab. It is very light but also sturdy. I'm not sure but I believe it is ABS plastic, similar to the Kitfox lift strut fairing material. I scuff sanded it with 220 grit and it took paint quite well.

It is quite a tight fit over the 5/8" struts and I couldn't slip it on by hand, even after greasing the strut. I finally had success by using 6 rubber faced trigger type bar clamps spaced along the fairing and positioned to squeeze the fairing more open. It then slid on with minimal effort. It was easy to properly position the fairing in the airstream with the clamps on. After removing the clamps, the fairing grips the strut very tightly and I decided that no glue was needed to keep it in proper position.

Time for a flight test! After about 1 hour of straight and level testing at 2000' and 5200 rpm (my normal cruise setting), I was able to measure the following results compared to previous testing without the fairings: The fairings gave me a solid 2 mph (maybe even 2.5) speed improvement, and a 0.1 gph reduction in fuel consumption-measured by my fuel flow meter. I believe these results are reasonably accurate and done with as much "apples-to-apples" comparison as I could, but of course I am no Chuck Yeager test pilot. Well worth the effort and cost ($35 + paint) in my opinion. Pictures below.
    I think these are the same fairings.

I was going to start a new thread but thought it would be more appropriate here.

I received a quote from Dennis at Aerolite 103 on his small strut fairings, dated 12/16/2022. Two pieces cut at 28" each was 44 dollars plus shipping. Very reasonable imho.

Web capture_16-12-2022_81926_www.uflyit.com.jpg

Being plastic, I'm sure they have some weight to them. If you're a bit nose heavy, this would be better than adding dead weight in your tail and maybe pick up some speed!

Streamline Fairings (uflyit.com)

Dragonplate makes a carbon fiber fairing, but they are expensive!

Streamlined Symmetrical Airfoil Carbon Fiber Tubing | DragonPlate

Does anyone have a better solution for 5/8 fairings?
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. ā€” Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul Zipper 110hp, G3x avionics, ss7 upgrades

I made some 3D printed fairings for the horizontal struts. The latest version has a round opening on the bottom, and the fairing just snaps onto the strut. I printed these in three sections due to height limitations on my 3D printer. Each section is connected to the next via a plastic insert.

The bottom of the fairing is not perfectly smooth due to the snap-on mechanism, but I'm pretending that drag is reduced compared to the raw strut.

20211227_101333.jpg

20211222_130441 (1).jpg
    Doug
    Super Sport
    912ULS
    Constant Speed IVOProp

I need to learn 3d printing but I'm on the downhill slide of understanding and $$ for the new 3d printer computer stuff.

Looks very nice dginok! How much $ to print your struts?
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. ā€” Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul Zipper 110hp, G3x avionics, ss7 upgrades

Thanks! Material probably cost about $8 max. I'm sure I've used up much more than that with the various versions I've tried over the years.
    Doug
    Super Sport
    912ULS
    Constant Speed IVOProp

I just finished installing fairings over my horizontal stabilizer struts. I ordered plastic fairing material from Quad City Aircraft, 5' of their smallest size. It is sized for going over 1/2" round tubing, but it works over the 5/8" tubing on the horizontal stab. It is very light but also sturdy. I'm not sure but I believe it is ABS plastic, similar to the Kitfox lift strut fairing material. I scuff sanded it with 220 grit and it took paint quite well.

It is quite a tight fit over the 5/8" struts and I couldn't slip it on by hand, even after greasing the strut. I finally had success by using 6 rubber faced trigger type bar clamps spaced along the fairing and positioned to squeeze the fairing more open. It then slid on with minimal effort. It was easy to properly position the fairing in the airstream with the clamps on. After removing the clamps, the fairing grips the strut very tightly and I decided that no glue was needed to keep it in proper position.

Time for a flight test! After about 1 hour of straight and level testing at 2000' and 5200 rpm (my normal cruise setting), I was able to measure the following results compared to previous testing without the fairings: The fairings gave me a solid 2 mph (maybe even 2.5) speed improvement, and a 0.1 gph reduction in fuel consumption-measured by my fuel flow meter. I believe these results are reasonably accurate and done with as much "apples-to-apples" comparison as I could, but of course I am no Chuck Yeager test pilot. Well worth the effort and cost ($35 + paint) in my opinion. Pictures below.

After more time testing I have to back off on the 2mph improvement, and be more realistic with 1-1.5mph.

I am impressed with what you guys have done with 3D printing, but I don't see how you can beat these ready made fairings for cost, simplicity, weight, and being one piece with no joints.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jiott; 12-18-2022 at 03:55 PM.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I agree Jim! The fairings you have look fantastic.
    Doug
    Super Sport
    912ULS
    Constant Speed IVOProp

Jim, remind me of your source for those fairings.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

I got them from Quad City Aircraft. They are used on ultralights; I believe they are still available but not 100% sure. Someone recently said they couldn't find them on the QuadCity website and had to call them.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS