Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rotec Enignes

Default Rotec Enignes

Hello All,

I am new to the forum and have decided to purchase the Kitfox SS7 in the fall when I get back from my job. The plane, and avionics have been decided upon but the engine is still up in the air. At the moment the two contenders are the Rotec R2800 and the Rotax 912 iS. I know the radial out in front will slow me down a bit but after reading the few posts about Kitofx's with Rotec's the takeoff and climb probably will be helped with only a small decrease in top end. I am slightly concerned with the lack of Rotec powered Kitfox's and was hoping to hear from those that have them as to the pro's and con's they have seen. I am not concerned with the LSA weight requirement as I am looking to build to the 1550# Gross Weight. Also of interest was the landing gear. Can the Grove landing gear be used with the radial and if so, is it the proper landing gear for that engine combination. Sorry if this was covered in another post but the search results were fairly anemic when it came to the Rotec in Kitfox's. I did read the article by the Administrator from 2012 and found that promising but that was not an SS7.

Thanks again

Default Re: Rotec Enignes

Have you talked to John McBean at the Kitfox factory? They have built and flown both engine combinations you are interested in.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Jim,
    I have emailed John this past weekend but have not heard anything back. I imagine with the holiday weekend he is digging out. I was hoping to also get more then one opinion and possibly pro's and con's from more than one person just to help make my decision process tighter. Thanks for the reply.

Jason

Did you see the July 2010 KOTM posting for the Rotec?

http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=1605

There was also the Kitfox with Rotec engine front page article in a Kitplanes magazine? This was just a few years ago and might be found in a search on the Kitplane's website.

John,

Thanks for the link to the thread. I read it and will email the owner off line about the Rotec. I will also see if I can find the kit plane article. I have found one issue that may preclude the Rotac and that is there is no cabin or carb heat. I plan on the injected Rotax if I don't use the Rotac so carb heat is not an issue, but because of my seasonal job most of my flying will be fall and winter so a heater is a must.

Jason

I wonder if he replaced the Rotec with the o-200 for performance reasons after the accident or if it was economical (insurance pay out not enough etc.

If you look on the Kitfox site, their Rotec equipped plane has a different style of gear because the grove gear was not tall enough to swing the larger prop that the Rotec needed to use all the available torque....something like that. Dont quote me on it but I think that was the issue.

I have 95 hrs on my SS7 with rotax 912iS. At 80 hrs. I upgraded the engine to the sport model. There was a significant increase of take off
    performance with the upgrade. The issue with the 912iS is the mandatory
    use of an electronic device for engine gauges. The engine computer outputs a data stream in the CAN buss format so standard gauges cannot be used. Most owners use an EFIS which will accept the CAN format. Also available from the Stock company is a stand alone electronic engine monitor, however it is in the 5K range and all you get is engine data.
    So with a CAN compatible EFIS you get Flight data, engine data, and maps
    for about the same 5k. The 912iS is a joy to start at any temperature and
    performance/faults can be viewed/downloaded at 100 hr inspections or
    monitored real time with engine running.

there is no problem getting grove to custom bend up a gear for you . i have a friend that had one made for a mk IV with the rotec .
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

I just got my kit and was debating the same. I went with the Rotax 912iS.

the big thing was: lack of shops to work on and overhaul,
    TBO was 1000 hrs as opposed to the Rotax 2000 Hr.

there are many good shops for repair and parts for Rotax

David Kelm

I asked Rotec some time ago for Dyno result power/torque curves and got this response from the owner himself:

Read all of the testimonials, it that isn't good enough for you, you'll never own a Rotec.

So, guess what - I'll never own a Rotec! Not just because he won't provide data, but mostly because of the attitude.

Greg