Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What landing/taxi lights are you using?

Default What landing/taxi lights are you using?

I want to add landing lights to my build for the rare occasion I fly at night. What are people using? I've seen the aeroled micro sun and aero-sun lights, but there must be alternatives out there. I've also found https://www.crazedpilot.com/led-lighting/ which is a lot cheaper.

Are there other alternatives?

Also, where are you mounting them? Wing ends? Struts? cowling?

Default Re: What landing/taxi lights are you using?

I bought a pair from forum member Josh Esser that he designed to fit the KF wingtips. They are still in the box, as I won't be powering them up for awhile but the quality appears pretty top-notch, and he did a nice job of packing as much emitter as possible into the space in the wingtip. If I need any support, I also know where to find him. You might send him a PM.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

I tried the strobes and also the GoPro audio patch cord from the site you mentioned and both failed shortly after purchase. Quality is poor I'm sorry to say compared to lights made specifically for aircraft use. In fact the strobes failed before I got to make my first flight with them. The GoPro cable made about 4 flights. Look elsewhere for something of quality.

AeroLeds are top shelf products with customer service and support after the sale.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Quote Originally Posted by DesertFox4 View Post
    I tried the strobes and also the GoPro audio patch cord from the site you mentioned and both failed shortly after purchase. Quality is poor I'm sorry to say compared to lights made specifically for aircraft use. In fact the strobes failed before I got to make my first flight with them. The GoPro cable made about 4 flights. Look elsewhere for something of quality.

AeroLeds are top shelf products with customer service and support after the sale.
    far enough. not looking to cheap out that's for sure. Just curious as to options that exist and experience of others. So thanks. Will delete from my bookmarks.

I still think my light solution is the best

My quick connect light bar, can be seen in this link. It takes two minutes
    to put under the aircraft, and I look like a 747 on final! It is attached using
    the float attach points with clevis pins, and I have a connector on the belly
    which I plug in at. The connector is fed by a relay controlled from my ldg
    light switch. I have the stock wingtip lights, but in all honesty they do
    nothing compared to the big halogen. Also reflected light off the belly
    provides illumination in the flare so I can see the ground in my peripheral
    vision.

http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=6136

Jeff

Tracstar,

I used automotive halogens mounted as shown in the attached photo - one focused for taxi and one focused for landing . I don't fly at night much either; but, I want to have the option so the aircraft was A/W'd for day night VFR.

I consider the lights mostly for another reason though - recognition - If the engine is running, day or night, every light on the plane is on.

These did not cost very much and have worked perfectly.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

I REALLY like Jeff's light bar......thought about it but haven't done it...great idea.
    Dave S
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

Quote Originally Posted by Dave S View Post
    Tracstar,

I used automotive halogens mounted as shown in the attached photo - one focused for taxi and one focused for landing . I don't fly at night much either; but, I want to have the option so the aircraft was A/W'd for day night VFR.

I consider the lights mostly for another reason though - recognition - If the engine is running, day or night, every light on the plane is on.

These did not cost very much and have worked perfectly.
    That is a nice idea. Do you find any issues with shadows from the nose ? Also saves wires going through wings and the added effort of mounting in the wing tips.

tracstar,

The nose isn't a problem - they are mounted on clamps around the landing gear close to the pivot point - 1) the clamps hold the lights down far enough and 2) being out to the edge the inset side of the cowl clears the beam.

Requires some measuring and fabrication; but, I guess that is why we are builders!
    Dave S
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

My biased two cents ...

No issues at all. In fact while the light looks draggy, I don't notice it at all.
    A really big benefit of the location is reflected light off the belly provides a
    LOT of ground illumination. I have three lights on it, the big center one and
    the two smaller ones. I have them angled such that the big one illuminates
    the runway that I can see just over the nose on final with one notch of
    flaperons. The two smaller ones help with close up illumination (they are
    fog lights).

I don't care what kind of lights you put in the wingtips, they will never
    provide the illumination you get from reflected light off the belly when you
    land ... I'm surprised frankly that Kitfox never made a kit for detachable
    light bar as an option ... (John?)

I adjusted them by putting tail on a sawhorse at roughly wheel landing attitude and using a hangar building in the distance as an adjustment
    target.

I can install the light bar in less time than typing this post ....

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by tracstarr View Post
    That is a nice idea. Do you find any issues with shadows from the nose ? Also saves wires going through wings and the added effort of mounting in the wing tips.