Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Location of magnetometer for an EFIS

Default Location of magnetometer for an EFIS

I am wondering where people have been mounting the magnetometers for an EFIS in their Kitfoxs?

I am to wanting to get the Garmin G3X EFIS. The installation manual says to keep the magnetometer 8.2 feet from any steel structure over 2.2 lbs, which is impossible. They say the wing is best place, but you still have the lift struts that are steel and can't get that kind of distance.

It really doesn't matter what brand of EFIS you have, I am interested in hearing what others have found to be the best location for the magnetometer.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Default Re: Location of magnetometer for an EFIS

Following what others have done, I put mine on a small piece of plywood that is bonded to the outer wing rib.

This is my solution. I'm installing a Dynon D100 EFIS. The wingtip offers the greatest distance from any ferrous metal on the Kitfox. I can see no better place.

Good luck with your project!

Thanks for the input.

I am also going to use the landing/taxi lights that came with the plane (non LED & high current) and the Aveo Powerburst nav/strobe/position lights in my wingtip. Garmin also gives a distance to keep away from high power carrying wiring.

If I put the AHRS out at the wing tip then it seems it will be best to run all of the other wires inside the front spar, put the AHRS as far back as possible on the outboard rib and run its wiring in the aft spar or trailing edge.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

I struggled with the placement as well. I had originally purchased the high power strobes and ended up deciding to sell them and get the LED strobes and nav light so I didn't have to deal with this issue of high energy wires.

So I decided to sell the high energy lights and I ended up purchasing the LED units so I had one less problem to deal with.

Everything seemed to work out well for me with this approach. I provided adjustment capability in all axis so I could get as close to the recommended alignment as possible.
    Attached Images Attached Images