Supporting vendors:

Your ad here?

Old 10-06-2017, 07:51 AM   #1
WWhunter

Default Tach fluctuation

Well, finally had a few spare minutes to readjust the pitch on my prop.
Started up and tried to get a static RPM but unfortunately my tach was bouncing all over the place. It finally settled down a bit but still varied by 200-400 rpm. It does seem to stabilize a bit at higher RPM's. Bad Tach?

Oh, I should probably mention that my voltage regulator/rectifier was bad also. Everything went crazy for a second and then my low voltage light came on. I shut it down and replaced the rectifier before restarting.

Anyone ever had this issue?

Didn't have time to diagnose it but I am guessing the tach is bad. It is a VDO electronic type. Haven't had anytime to fly yet this summer and it will be fall soon.
WWhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 10:14 AM   #2
Av8r3400
Super Moderator

Default Re: Tach fluctuation

Sweep needle tachometers are notoriously inaccurate on Rotax engines. Both the two strokes and the 912 series.

I had a VDO and a Rotax tach in my old plane that were both terrible. I replaced the Rotax with a digital tach from ACS that was great. Spot on compared to an optical tach.

I have a Dynon panel in the Mangy. That checked perfect to the optical, too.
912UL 105hp Zipper
YouTube Videos
Av8r3400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 04:21 PM   #3
WWhunter

Thank you sir! I went through the major ordeal of getting it out today. What a friggin job!!! It's a 20 year old VDO and has always worked well until I had that Voltage rectifier issue. May have had a voltage spike that messed it up a bit.

I was doing some research a little bit ago and found a Technical Bulletin dated Aug 03 with the description 'ERRATIC OPERATION' it says to add a diode in line of the ignition lead. The diode is #1N4005 Luckily, (which is not in my usual day), I had one in a box!! I built test computers for FA-18 Hornets, that went on aircraft carriers, many years ago and as the average guy....always had a few spare components in my electronics stash. Score one for me!!

I'll get it soldered together tonight and hopefully it will cure the problem. Much cheaper than buying a new tach.

I will most likely get a digital as you suggested. I have seen this advice several times over the years.
Old 10-07-2017, 05:46 AM   #4
Norm

https://www.amazon.ca/Qiilu-Inductiv...tal+tachometer

This is the tach I use on my 912. I used one in a 582 for years. I have seen them as low as $10 so not a big ticket item. You could run it as a backup to your current tach. Inexpensive way to check your current tach.

Norm
Flying SuperFox Model IV
Norm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 05:59 AM   #5
WWhunter

Norm,
I am sitting here laughing!!! I just ordered and got confirmation that a similar tach was shipped. I was looking for a digital as an 'extra' and found a lot of 4 the whooping price of $28.99 shipped on ebay. Seller allwinshop sells them in various lot sizes. I figure I'll have some spares for other stuff around my property that I can use them on. I can use them on generators etc. to keep track of the hours for maintenance.