Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Helmet Discussion

Default Re: Helmet Discussion

I would wear one in the back with you just to get a ride in that thing you fly.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

I have been reading this thread with interest and my personal feeling mirrors John's. Yesterday morning before getting up I asked my wife if she wishes she had been wearing a helmet when we "crashed" as I attempted an emergency landing. After a moment, she said no. Her reasoning was that the increased weight on her head might have caused additional strain on her neck as we impacted the ground. Neither of us suffered any injury above our shoulders. It was all related to flailing legs, arms and broken structural tubing. I should mention that my wife spent 44 years as a flight attendant and had a lot of practice - at least twice every flight - tightening her belt and shoulder harnesses and positioning her head depending on whether she sat forward facing or aft facing . This might reinforce what airlina suggested in his post.

The increased strain on the neck has always been a concern to me regarding the full face helmets some motorcyclists use. In my mind, skidding along the ground and then hitting a rock or a guard rail with that protuberance and survive the accident with severe spinal cord injuries.
    Last edited by HighWing; 11-16-2018 at 11:26 AM.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

About 18 months ago I attended a lecture given by an aviation medical pathologist and the subject of helmets came up from question from the floor. Interesting responses, but helmet weight was discussed as a possible source of neck injury as Lowell wrote. I’m undecided about wearing a helmet during my phase 1 test flying, but I have done UPRT training to better understand how to recover in the event of any situation developing, which I don’t expect. But as Bruce essentially said, pilot proficiency is probably the best remedy. Having said that, I know that ag pilots all wear helmets, but then look how close they fly to the ground. No time to react. I personally think they are restrictive and could induce issues, such as limits on peripheral vision. In the end and like John, I think we’ve all chosen to take on a more risky life venture in flying our planes so for mine, just get good at flying.
    David
    SS7 Builder

I have a friend who used to fly pipe line patrol and he wore a helment as he worried about taking a large bird through the window. He hit lots of birds flying 100’ off the deck and took out a couple turkey buzzards but none through the window.

Whether somebody wears a helmet is certainly their business, but these
    helmets are not like wearing an anvil on your head. This idea of neck injury,
    caused by the weight of for example the ski helmet I wore this afternoon is
    frankly - Utterly ridiculous.

Also the idea that your peripheral vision is affected is also ridiculous. I
    rode my bike today on the roads, in and around the NW Suburbs of Chicago,
    and had zero issue with that, and I have to check traffic behind me by
    looking over my shoulder, and no issue with that either.

That said - Bruce's point about being a proficient pilot makes sense.

If you're flying off sand bars, etc. I'm thinking a helmet might actually be
    a good idea ...

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by n85ae View Post
    Whether somebody wears a helmet is certainly their business, but these
    helmets are not like wearing an anvil on your head. This idea of neck injury,
    caused by the weight of for example the ski helmet I wore this afternoon is
    frankly - Utterly ridiculous.

Jeff
    I'm afraid the aviation medical evidence would disagree with you. There was quite some discussion about this in the lecture I attended and according to the av. med pathologist serious neck injury has resulted from wearing heavy helmets. Case in point, the helmets used on the F35 are/were a concern due to their weight, especially in the event of a pilot having to eject whereby spinal injury could result.

And with respect, peripheral vision issues are similarly a concern. I ride a motorbike and even with a full open face, there are limitations.
    Last edited by David47; 11-18-2018 at 04:19 PM.
    David
    SS7 Builder

I must already have a brain injury. I fly everyday the sun is out.