Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: 51 percent rule.

Default 51 percent rule.

If ones orders the quick build wing kit and or the pre-fab bracket kit, would this not allow the plane to be classified as amateur built and not qualify for an experimental rating?

Default Re: 51 percent rule.

even with the wing kit prebuilt, the factory hasn't built 49%. That would be a fair question for the factory. Certainly they have dealt with the FAA regarding how much of the build they can finish before they encroach on the 49%.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Quote Originally Posted by efwd View Post
    even with the wing kit prebuilt, the factory hasn't built 49%. That would be a fair question for the factory. Certainly they have dealt with the FAA regarding how much of the build they can finish before they encroach on the 49%.
    Thank you, I will send them an e-mail about it.

My SS7 was ordered with prebuild wing/prefab brackets. I still ended up building 0ver 70% using the FAA form to calculate the 51% rule.

Quote Originally Posted by neville View Post
    My SS7 was ordered with prebuild wing/prefab brackets. I still ended up building 0ver 70% using the FAA form to calculate the 51% rule.
    Awesome, thank you. I wish I had a space to build, I would order asap, but got to figure that out first lol

Those options don't put you anywhere near doing less than 50% the way it's described on the checklist the FAA uses to evaluate kits. Kitfox wouldn't sell you a kit that you would be unable to certify EAB when complete.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS