Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wing Build/Fuel Tank Install

Default Wing Build/Fuel Tank Install

I am building the wings on a KF5. I had the wings built on my first build but, on this one I am doing the wings myself and I've run into a question that I don't really find the answer for in the manual, either hard copy original or the Kitfox, Inc, web manual. It has to do with sequence of the build. I have the spars, ribs, compression struts & brackets done and ready but, the manuals don't make it clear when to install the wing tanks.

There is a series of instructions for fitting the wings to the fuselage for rigging and placement of the strut brackets on the spars. Do you install the wing tanks before or after this process of fitting the wings to the fuselage? The manual seem to imply that it is after the wing rigging is accomplished but, it also seems that there are things that might need to be done before the wing tanks are installed. Does anyone have any words of wisdom on this question?

Default Re: Wing Build/Fuel Tank Install

I purchased my kit with quick build wings that were pre rigged. I put the fuel tanks in myself which was one of the last things done.

I built my own wings and the tank install was one of the last things to do, after rigging to the fuselage and after installing the #1 rib.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Just what I needed to know. Thank you.

Question Re: Wing Build/Fuel Tank Install

New question: I am reading the instructions and I find something a little confusing. I've got a call in to Debra but, I thought maybe others could share their knowledge on this question.

In marking the ribs for location on the front and rear spars (see attached PDF) the instructions are to use a half inch spacer between the end of the rear spar and the jib stop thereby offsetting the rear spar outboard 1/2". (done).

Next the language below the wind diagram showing the distances from wing root outward states: All rib center line locations are referenced from end of rear spar. Locations along the front spar are the same as rear spar plus 1/2".

The way I read this, using the rib location for rib #3 is 37-1/2" from root end of spar. Then the front location would be 38" (37-1/2" + 1/2" = 38). I marked these all using the rear spar dimensions plus 1/2". Then I started trying to fit the drag braces and found that they will not fit. In order to make them fit, if I slide the front of the rib on the front spar toward the root end 1/2" then the drag tubes fit as described in the instructions. What am I misunderstanding?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Nevermind, I was thinking of the wrong thing...

I've built my own wings for a 7 SS and I checked the dimensions for rib placement against your 5. They are exactly the same and my drag braces fitted with no problem - drag brace length adjustment was achieved by sliding the brace tube in or out of each end fitting and then riveting them in place. I'm assuming you have a similar arrangement for your drag struts. It gets a bit tight, but they should fit. Maybe try again.

Info: The distance, centreline to centreline, between end ribs for any two bays containing a drag brace is 35.5" in each case; e.g. between #3 to #5 = 35.5", #5 to #7 = 35.5" etc.
    David
    SS7 Builder

Talking Re: Wing Build/Fuel Tank Install

I spoke with John McBean at KF, Inc. and he said that my measurements were correct. I gave him the length of the drag struts and they were 3/4" too long so I followed the assembly instructions and cut the drag tubes down as needed so everything fit together. Left wing glued together today. Thanks all.

I have my left wing ribs and drag braces installed and glued up and am thinking about the next steps, i.e. hanging the wings on the fuselage to rig the location of the strut braces and the wing root hole locations in the spars. In working, it seemed to me that I was frequently catching myself hanging on the rear of the ribs and wondered if there is any reason not to put the trailing edge on the ribs before moving forward. I think of this a means of strengthening the ribs and preventing me from catching something on the ribs while in the process of installing the wings.

Can any of you out there that built your wings any advise on when to add the trailing edge pieces now or later?

I have pre-assembled wings and they were nearly completed with the exception of the bay behind the fuel tank. In that light, I have now idea why completing the trailing edge would be a problem. I don't recall if I closed the trailing edge before or after the tank went in.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X