Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help needed with new Warp drive on my 582

Default Help needed with new Warp drive on my 582

I finally had a day to myself to hang the prop on my KF4 with a 582 blue head. In reading the instructions you can't miss the "MUST HAVE A FACEPLATE". I didn't recall a faceplate coming off, so I went to check on the old GSC woody to see if it was still on the old prop. No dice, it just mounted to the engine flange. In looking in the Leading Edge catalog I don't see a "faceplate" for sale.

So here I am, stuck. Has anyone else been here before?
    Jay

edit: never mind, I found it in with the bolts.
    Last edited by beeryboats; 08-20-2017 at 11:35 AM.

Default Re: Help needed with new Warp drive on my 582

I think you only need a faceplate on a wood prop hub. With an aluminum hub it would not bee needed.

Ok, still need help. Was just starting to bolt the prop to the engine when I remembered the spinner cap. Ran home, down the driveway, and found the spinner has its own big thick plate. So do I use both plates, the spinner back plate on top of the steel one in the kit, or just use the plate from the spinner?

Jim,

There are normally two applications requiring a crush plate (may also be called a "face plate"). Our plane has a Warp Tapered tip with HPL hub on the front of a 912ULS.

1) In the case of a wood prop - to disperse the torque of the bolts evenly over the prop head.

2) With a spinner bulkhead (and that depends on the specific spinner). For instance, we installed a UHS spinner with a fiberglass bulkhead which is designed to have a crush plate on top of the bulkhead to lend it stability and to disperse the torque over the bulkhead rather than concentrating the pressure right under the bolt heads. Attached photos of the UHS spinner/bulkhead which required a single crush plate on top of the bulkhead.

I can't imagine any situation where two crush plates would ever be needed. You may have a case where the prop supplier provided one and the spinner people provided one, each as an accessory to their product - possible duplication which beats not getting any from either!

The final authority would be prop and the spinner supplier - any doubts might be a good idea to call up both of them.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

I just installed a three blade Warp Drive prop on my blue head 582 and ordered the Rotax face plate with the prop. Warp Drive recommend installing a Rotax face plate with their prop. Try www.warpdriveprops.com for info on the face plate. I ordered my prop from them and received good service.
    Hope this will help you.
    Ray
    Kitfox V Lycoming YO-233

This is what we've always called a skull cap spinner. It does not cover the whole hub or have cut outs for the blades. It has a fairly thick base plate with a central stem that is threaded for a central screw from the spinner cap.

I assume the back plate for the spinner replaces the "face plate" called out in the prop instructions, but I'm not 100% sure.
    Jay

Just found on Hover Hawk web site that the spinner back plate can be used as the face plate on Warp drive props. Just wasted an entire day on this issue. Wish they included instructions with the spinner....
    Jay

As long as you are this far into the day, give Darrel a call at Warp Drive in the morning and get an answer from him. He is real good to talk with. If his info on the site isn't clear enough, maybe he will fix it and the next guy won't have the same issue as you just had. JImChuk

Per the log books the former owner set the GSC prop at 17 degrees. Not sure where he measured this at on the blade...
    Anyone remember where they set their blade pitch at? Or at least a good starting point.

GSC pitch is measured at 75% of the blade length. Warp drive degrees of pitch is measured at the tips of the blades. My 503 is set at 11.5 degrees at the tip, I suspect the 582 will need a little more than that.

FWIW, you're not the only one confused by the warp installation instructions. I installed my warp prop with the skull cap spinner 16 years ago and the instructions about the face plate confused me too.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder