Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A newcomers questions

Default Re: A newcomers questions

Consider all the yoke style aircraft (152,172,etc) out there. You fly those with your right hand on throttle and left on the yoke.
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind

Welcome benjam.

As I'm sure you've noticed, the folks on here are friendly and the info always helpful. I've spent the last week or two on here dreaming about ... err ... "researching" my new savings goal. Always nice to see another Aussie on here too. Kitfox might need to open an Australian distributor at this rate

Sounds like you're possibly closer to this goal than I am, so I look forward to watching another "local" build take place.

Cheers,
    J.

I've flown Aerofox (LH on stick), Decathlon (RH on stick) and recently KF (LH on stick). Takes about 1 minute for your brain to adjust. As JT says, paraphrasing, it isn't a problem to switch.
    David
    SS7 Builder

I'll pile on. I thought about setting up to fly Ktifox from the right seat while building over the RH on stick LH on throttle issue. Decided not too and I am happy with stock setup.

The RV 10 I fly had dual throttles when I bought it. I tried to like the left hand throttle but it had some play in it that could not be resolved and I removed it.

The Zenith 750 we built had a single center stick so we put in dual throttles. Worked fine for flying but radio work was a bit awkward.

My bottom line for a Kitfox is save yourself some time and money. Build it stock. Set up for your preference of left or right seat unless resale value matters to you. If it does setup standard left seat.

My 2 cents.
    Maxwell Duke

Kitfox S6 IO-240 Built it (Flying since 2003)
    Maule M7-235C Sold it (liked it though)
    RV-10 IO-540 Bought it
    Zenith CH-750 Built with 7 friends (DAR Vic Syracuse)

Next Questions:

1. Will I be able to achieve the build in a single car garage? 6m x 4m.

It feels too small.

2. I look at the photos of other people's builds, with their technical involvement and metres of wiring and different components. It feels daunting.

Do the instructions cater for dopes like me who have all the gear, but no idea?
    Last edited by benjam; 09-25-2018 at 10:32 PM.

I'm building in a space about that size, BUT I have a lot of parts and completed components stashed throughout the rest of my house, and some stuff over at my hangar. It is absolutely possible, and with some planning isn't really even that difficult. For me, the only real challenge is that you can't have a wing on inside. So if a step requires putting a wing on, you really have to plan to get the wing on, perform the task, and get the wing back off and stored. There is one step in the instructions where epoxy has to cure overnight while the wings are on. I was able to work with the factory to get this step done before my kit shipped, as much of the year it is too cold outside for the epoxy to cure.

You can look at my build log to get an idea how I've used the space.

The manual is very good, and can be followed by a ham-fisted dope like me. Take your time, read the manual carefully, and practice new skills on stuff that is not on the airplane, or at least easy to fix when you screw it up. It looks like a lot when you look at other people's builds, but it's an elephant that you eat one bite at a time. Anyone with most of their fingers, two brain cells to rub together, and an adequate amount of patience can do it.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

I built my Kitfox before this forum and online support. It was by far the most complex undertaking to date. But I found it very doable. I have built two airplanes since and helped on several other airplanes. In my opinion the Kitfox plans are the best I have seen (no contest there) You will have questions as you proceed, but will not have any problems getting answers. My approach (so as to not be intimidated by the process) was I'm building a horizontal stabilizer, then I'm building a rudder, etc. Finally I have an airplane.
    David E.
    Woodstock, Georgia
    N97DE S5 TD Flying

N97KE RV-9A Sold
    N96KE RV10 Sold
    Rans S21 Helping Brother Build (Selling)
    Vans RV-14A (On Order)

" Do the instructions cater for dopes like me who have all the gear, but no idea?"

Yep, pretty much.

Also, I note from your profile that you are an airline pilot - I certainly hope your self description - '..dopes like me.' - is just a humble statement rather than an accurate description - or I would be interested to know which company you fly for!

Seriously, I know heaps of dopy airline pilots who have build airplane kits - anything is possible if you want it bd enough!

cheers

ross
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

Wink Re: A newcomers questions

Thanks for the replies, guys.

My 6x4m shed is the last resort if I am unable to source a better option.

Rosslr, flying them doesn't equal fixing them. While I can haul a 737 around the sky without much ado, I generally go and have a coffee when the engineers need to work on them.

Seriously, though, I expect to be able to follow detailed instructions, but have had zero hands on maintenance action. I just don't want to be biting off more than I can chew.

It seems that the community and factory support will be invaluable and should be the oomph to see any problems through.

cheers.

You'll mess stuff up. You'll learn from it and not make the mistake again. I think everyone who built one gained tonnes of knowledge in a short order. Only way to learn is to do.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3