Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: STi STOL vs SS7

Default STi STOL vs SS7

From what I understand, the STi has a different wing design over the SS7, but how much of a difference does this make in STOL situations and top end speed?

From what I gather, the STi will have reduced top end speed but better STOL characteristics, but buy how much of a margin over the SS7?

Default Re: STi STOL vs SS7

Have you watched Trent’s videos? He talked about switching his wing to a STI wing. Nick is running his old wing, just barely flew with him. He plans on building a STI wing at some time. With that being said the “regular” wing is no slouch in the short field area. Nick said the STI wing does a lot better high and hot.

Thanks for the reply. Ya, I have seen all of Trent's videos. I knew he had the STi wing, but perhaps I missed where or if he talked about the STOL differences between the SS7 wing and the STi wing.

Could you elaborate on what you mean by high and hot?

You lose 25mph in cruise but you stall 10mph slower with the STI wing
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Wow, that much cruise speed, yikes!

Yeah plan on 100mph cruise.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Well, That answers what kit I am getting, SS7

I give up a little stall speed for cruise, at least for no win my current thinking.

Yeah 20 mph loss in top speed but 10mph reduction in stall speed. I think if your building as a cross country plane 7SS. If your not worried about getting anywhere fast STI. The STI climbs better heavy and high DA’s. Much thicker cord wing. Personally I think you lose 20 mph on top speed more because of the combination not just the wing, but monster shocks, big tires, cabane landing gear and not so much just the wing. I just flew with Nick and 95mph Cruise is what he is seeing. He has 7SS sti with the 7SS wing, (Trent’s old wing) not STI wing. He has 29” wheels and monster gear. Of course his gear is uncovered so he will pickup some speed there when he covers it. Regardless they are so fun to fly. Went out twice with nick and it was so fun to fly! His plane is sweet and he did a good job building it.

That is awesome. I have yet to ride in one, no friends into aviation, so I am in uncharted waters here lol. Hence all the questions I post trying to figure things out.

There is a guy near SLC that I need to meet as he is currently building his plane and he's not that far from me.

Are you building or do you already have one? How did you meet Nick?

I live in Mapleton,UT. I am building a STI and my brother, who is next door, is building an STI. I need to post some updates where we are, but we have been building since June. Goal is a year build time🤞 We met through Facebook. He started his right before we picked ours up. He built it in 5 months. Already has 100 hours on it. Crazy! They are so fun. Visibility is great. Crazy how much you can see. It’s been a long time since I have been low and slow.