Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Light Sport Weight Limit

Default Re: Light Sport Weight Limit

I came across this today on reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/flying/comm...ght_to_3600lb/

Here is a link to the AvWeb announcement: https://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/new...225a:&st=email

While this is good news and may or may not change much in the Kitfox world, it would be great if they also change the regulation to allow inflight adjustable propellers.

Ralph

Quote Originally Posted by bumsteer View Post
    Just got an email from Avweb.com that states a "high ranking FAA source" has confirmed the FAA plans to almost triple the LSA weight limit to 3600 pounds in rulemaking to be introduced in January.

Rick
    Wow, with the note that this is not yet even proposed, may not be the final rule and that people should start lobbying for it; this will be great if it does happen over the next few years.

I would still rather have a Kitfox than a 172, but it would be nice to use the design weight and bring a friend along from time to time.

Here is a link to the source article.

Baker invited Jack Pelton, EAA chairman and CEO, onto the stage. On Jan. 19, 2019, Pelton said, the FAA will publish a notice of proposed rulemaking that seeks to raise the weight limit for light sport aircraft from the current 1,320 pounds to 3,600 pounds. “That will allow you to fly in a 172, have four seats in the airplane, and fly 150 mph,” said Pelton, who also anticipates a rule change that would allow professional builders to construct experimental amateur-built aircraft.

Interesting to see that they will also allow professional builders to assemble home builts.

John and Debra McBean need to design a 4-seat KF Plus-Up. I'd buy, build, and fly once the new regulations are enacted.
    BobRS
    KF 104Y, SS7, Rotax 914
    Flying

Hi, what does anyone think that if the LSA weight change is tripled or even doubled for that matter, what would happen to the value of the current light sports out there? Do you think the older smaller ones including the Luscombes and the like and experimentals will plunge in value? Do you think some of the current kit manufacturers would go out or adapt with bigger designs? And do you think the values of the 150s, 170s, 172s and their low wing counterparts will significantly rise?

I've recently been bitten by the Trent Palmer bug and have decided I'd like a folding wing bush plane like Kitfox later models 4 or above or the Highlander. I need to go LSA and need to be able to store in a trailer plus I'm a 6'2 200 pounder and need a decent useful load weight. Should I wait to buy something?

You’re assuming the rules will change sooner rather than later. What if they don’t change? Then you’ve waited X years and still don’t have an airplane.

If you want an airplane, buy an airplane.

Buzz-Kill...

Keep in mind this isn't even an oficial proposal at this point, it's still nothing more than a glorified rumor. There will need to be a lot of water flow under the bridge before this can happen.

As I have stated before, this has been a rumor for ever. At least since LSA was first announced. At this point with Basic Med, there really is little or no reason to make such a broad sweeping change to the rules. The Bureaucracy of the FAA has many more, higher priority, things on their plate.

I will believe it when it happens.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I do think the FAA needs to make some changes to the light sport rule. Because I was personally involved with the team that created Light Soort, I learned firsthand from them that this was just the starting point, and that there would be changes if the Light Sport Rule proved safe and effective.

So in many ways getting changes we want is up to all of us. We just have to prove we can be safe and responsible. And overall I think we have done a pretty good job with that. But we also need to communicate with them what changes WE want.

The FAA really does want to improve participation into aviation, in spite of what others may think. And the Light Sport Rule makes entry into aviation a lot easier. Unfortunately most FBO's haven't embraced it (for a multitude of reasons, many of which I can appreciate), so I believe the FAA might be trying to make it more widely accepted, so as to bring in some more pilots. Including most of the current heavier and more complex GA light aircraft would certainly do that. Plus it would keep more people flying that otherwise might just give it up.

Our pilot populations are dwindling. At the rate we are going there could come that day when the FAA won't have any of us to regulate So write your comments to both the FAA and to your congressman. Tell them what we want to see with the changes to the rule. It is their job to makes laws (or rule changes) the citizens want. That's how America is supposed to work. Unfortunagely Americans either don't understand that, or they just don't take the time to do so. Or maybe a little of both?

Oh, and on the subject of what will happen to companies like Kitfox if the weights and capabilities for Light Sport get significantly increased? Remember, in the early to mid 80's when Avid and Kitfox were the best selling aircraft in America, there was no Light Sport Rule. Heck, there wasn't even the Recreational Pilot license yet. That all came years later. Yet people bought Avid and Kitfox aircraft as fast as they could make them. So I wouldn't worry much about what changes to the rule will do to our beloved aircraft. There are a lot of reasons people will continue to buy them.

I believe our planes will go down in history much like the J-3 Cub has. The Cub sold for decades and decades before it was even qualified and/or affected by the Light Sport rule. And today the Cub design is still one of the most desired designs in both LSA as well as out of the LSA category. Ironically, so is the Kitfox.

It's hard to kill a great design, regardless of the rules...

[QUOTE=GuppyWN;78416 If you want an airplane, buy an airplane.
    [/QUOTE]

No better way to say it!! I am lucky in the fact that I have had owned at least two airplanes at a time for the past decade or more. I went the LSA route patiently waiting for the rules to change. Took many years before the Basic Med was signed into law. Many guys sat on the fence waiting for it. All those years they sat on their duffs waiting for it to happen when I was out flying.

As Av8r3400 mentions, this is just proposed, what comes out in the end might not be anywhere close to what is proposed. Look what happened with the Basic Med!! Started out as a basic, use your drivers license as a medical. Ended up being just slightly better than having to get a 3rd class. Still have nearly all the same rules, just shifts the responsibly to your Doc of choice verses an AME.

If you keep waiting around until the rules fit you, you will grow old with many regrets. Just go buy something you can fly now and worry about any financial loss/gain when the time comes. I have met too many older (than me) people that complain about the dreams lost. Don't be one of those!!