Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Changing out a 912 80 HP in a model IV

Default Re: Changing out a 912 80 HP in a model IV

I don't know why the pics came through as thumbnails. I"ll send them again individually, maybe they were too big.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here is the top view

wondering what you all are doing for connecting the mag switches to the new 6 pin connectors ? appears to require some weird assed crimper
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

I hired an A&P to come out and help me finish the plane. He is an experienced electronics and avionics guy so the Dynon is his part of the completion check list. I"ll post pix this week. Keeping fingers crossed for a June 27 start and test flight.

Good luck Jay. We'll be up to fly with you this summer for sure.

Scott
    Scott Noble
    Kitfox SS7

Looking forward to that.

Nice Wheels. Im glad I am not the only one not interested in the wiring. I hope that the fact that I have Garmin harness' coming means I can get through it relatively easy.
    Eddie
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

The Dynon install went well. Having some trouble with the oil pressure sensor but I think its because we didn't do an oil purge yet so there isn't really any pressure on the sender. But here are some pix. No didn't start it because of a minor yet annoying feature of buying a new engine. New engines don't fit older prop hubs. There is yet another change and yes, another part to buy and yes, another wait and yes more money to spend and yes, I"m b**ching. and yes, never feel sorry for a guy with an airplane project.
    Can you find waldo or anything glaringly stupid in this pic. Be brutal you may save my insurance company from buying my wife a new mercedes.

Wheels,

I think we can all relate to how one thing leads to another; and, but we always prevail.

A couple considerations, which you may already have plans for.

The EAA tech counselors pretty consistently recommended the use of cushion clamps rather than zip ties on the engine mount tubes. The rationale is that the nylon zip ties in combination with the normal amount of engine vibration can result in the nylon ties wearing through the finish (powder coat or paint) and instigating problems down the road (rust or cracks). Can't tell for sure from the photo but it looks like there may be a zip tie securing a fuel hose to the engine mount frame.

I don't see fire sleeves on the fuel and oil hoses. Maybe they are not installed yet; but, certainly a good idea. In addition to providing some additional time in the event of an under cowl fire, they also provide abrasion resistance.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

Dave S,
    Thanks, you are right. I didn't think about the Zip ties and they are a problem. I'll get some cushion clamps, and re do that. The Firesleeve is a must and I can't tell you why it isn't installed. Except that the Mechanic did some work while I was at the parts supply, so when I returned, presto. Do you think I can just split the firesleeve and zip tie, / clamp it to the required fuel lines, or should I break the fuel line connection and sleeve the hose. (worried about barbed fittings) maybe I'll buy more fuel line and re-do the manifold. I"ll listen to you, my wife doesn't want the mercedes.