Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

Thread: Changing out a 912 80 HP in a model IV

Default Re: Changing out a 912 80 HP in a model IV

Happy news Wheels. Safe Kitfoxing.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

i know the feeling also when the bliss returns
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    Victory is never sweeter than when it is hard won...
    that is so fantastic. If you want to meet up sometime, I would love to fly with you. It was a very long road for you to get what you wanted, now go fly and enjoy. soon you will forget about what troubles you had and have nothing but fun memories of flying your fox. again, enjoy.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

I Balanced the carbs with a carb mate today and after an hour I gave in and used a dual gauge from a Twin engine plane. I got it pretty close but not as happy as I would like. Seems like the idle immediately following start was pretty rough for about 5 minutes. Then all was fine. I put a larger diameter balance tube on it and Im sure that is a good Idea. other than that its performance stock.

I"m still showing 5860 at take off climb showing 60 mph with VY. I"ll take a half degree out tomorrow and test again.
    I think It was straight and level ish, at 105 showing 5800. So Im thinking that adding a nose cone and just dusting off the plane will net me another 5mph.

Thank you all for the encouragement and just for biting your own tongues while I ranted or moaned. I owe you a debt actually. I'll try to be the guy who pays forward the right way.
    OK, tomorrow is full tanks early A.M. and start the real shake down.
    cheers.

I pitched the prop a little steeper. I"m seeing 120 mph at 5760 RPM! I think I"ll back it down a little tomorrow but I like going fast. I'm wondering how to really take care of the engine for the long term. Do you all really fly your Rotax engines at 5500 all the time?
    Will it live long doing that?
    What if you don't get 5500 static?
    It was 5300 static today (90 degrees outside) and once I was straight and level I was cruising at VNE at 5460. Is that ok?
    I took it to 9k feet to cool off and check performance, it just got better and better. I have about 4 hours on it now.

Made to run 5,500 revs all day long. I got better cooling when running between 5,350 and 5,500 rpms in the Arizona heat. Moving more water throught the system is my impression. My 912 ul with fixed cruise prop would ground run up to 5,150 to 5,200 rpms. Once airborn it could go to maybe 5,650 full throttle.
    Flew mine 3 years and put 1,100 hours on it. After selling it I tried to keep track of it and see what kind of hours built up. Last report it was nearing 2,000 hours and running strong.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Thanks Desert Fox. I misprinted my tach reading. I am seeing 120 mph indicated at 5460. I"ll do a an airspeed check this morning before the wind comes up and report what it looks like in the cool air.
    Thanks again.

I have an adjustable prop and keep it at about 5400 all the time. Rotax at osh told me that if you can do that your gear case will last longer.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

Im closing this thread. The Engine is in and working well. I have about 10 hours on it and I'm happy with it's performance and the Dynon DS10 as well. the minor adjustments that are coming are just ... minor adjustments.
    Thank you all for real help and real advice. there is no where but here to get answers. You are the duty experts and you are the voice of reason. Thanks again.