Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Empty C of G SS7

Default Re: Empty C of G SS7

Hey everyone. Thanks for all your input. As it stands right now, moving some items such as the fire extinguisher more aft, fired kit, tool kit etc everything will work out. Taking 6lbs off the mains and getting it to the tail fixed everything. The good news is I can REALLY use my extend baggage area!!!
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

It still seems odd. I have a Lycoming O290 and my empty weight is 920lbs and my empty Arm is 9.94". This is with one of the heavier firewall forward set ups. The battery is in the tail which makes a huge difference. Is there possible something with the extended grove gear you have that could be moving the landing gear forward effecting the forward CG?
    Bryan
    Project Kitfox
    Bowen Aero LLC
    Kitfox Model 5 Lycoming O-290 D powered
    Building a Model 7 Apex powered
    Redding, CA
    http://www.youtube.com/c/ProjectKitfox

Josh,

I looked at your CG calculation sheet and compared it to mine and I notice you have -2" for the L/R main arm which gives you a negative moment. On my sheet, which is the same form but for a model 6/7, I have +2" arm for L/R Main which gives me a positive moment. This would change your empty CG from 7.49" to 11.27". I also have the 1 degree wing sweep which moves my workable range to 9.50" - 14.75" instead of 11.37" - 16.00", I assume that you do not have a wing sweep on a ROTAX install.
    Bryan
    Project Kitfox
    Bowen Aero LLC
    Kitfox Model 5 Lycoming O-290 D powered
    Building a Model 7 Apex powered
    Redding, CA
    http://www.youtube.com/c/ProjectKitfox

I actually have a -1.4 moment on the mains. The mains are ahead of the leading edge so they should be negative and the tail should be positive. Maybe it's different with sweet wings but I would double check your measurements again. The mains are only + if they are tri gear mains.

I'm -1.4 on the mains and +167 on the tail. The SS7 workable range is 9.00 to 16.00
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Quote Originally Posted by Esser View Post
    ... The SS7 workable range is 9.00 to 16.00

I believe the info that I worked from showed the limits as 9.5 forward and 16.0 aft. Doesn't make any real difference to me though, since I can't come anywhere close to the forward limit. My empty CG is just aft of that forward limit, so I guess I could send it up by itself to fly without me... if it wanted to.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime