Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Empty C of G SS7

Default Re: Empty C of G SS7

I think I must have something messed up because I think even if you hung the extra weight I have in my plane off the tip of your nose, it still wouldn't be that nose heavy. I'll keep everyone updated
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Josh, I just did a quick comparison between you and Ross (look at the thread re SS7 weight). You both have Airmaster CSP's, but blades may differ, and a quick look at the Rotax 912 iS and 914 iS shows there's not much weight difference (roughly 160 lbw each installed).

His empty weight and CG are 874 lbw and 9.66" aft of the datum from my rough calc's.

As a rough calc for yours: (and assuming your weights and main wheel measurements are ok) I'm getting 878 lbw and CG around 5.89" aft of the datum, assuming the same t/w moment arm as Ross' i.e. well forward of the forward CG limit.

From what I've seen over a few posts from weighings, the 60lbw tail weight or thereabouts is a reasonable guide to go on based on average weights that other builders are getting.

In short, looks like you need some ballast and the best bang for buck is right down the back. Any chance of strapping a steel plate inside the fuselage above the tailwheel spring ?.

So you don't feel too glum, I have a Lyc 0-233, which is heavy and I'm expecting to have some ballast down the back ....

FWIW.
    David
    SS7 Builder

Hey David. If I needed weight back there, that’s where I’ll put my first aid and tool kit. It still doesn’t make sense to me looking at Ross’ numbers. It should be very similar
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Unless you have a lead cowl, I agree, but what about prop comparisons or are they the same ?. You're effectively looking at a 3000 in.lb difference in your moment, which is a lot for this size airplane, and given the weight of yours, that's about a 3.3" difference in CG position. Maybe get someone else to do it again as an independent check ?. Or, get another set of scales and do it again .... I've weighed many aircraft and you occasionally get one that just doesn't add up. Maybe time to step away and change the approach ... wish I could offer more than just check everything again, change scales, change to someone else ....
    David
    SS7 Builder

Hey Josh, did you measure the actual arm of your wheels or just use the numbers in the W&B chart? Your

EWCG seems off, but 42 lbs for the tail seems too light.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Quote Originally Posted by PapuaPilot View Post
    Hey Josh, did you measure the actual arm of your wheels or just use the numbers in the W&B chart? Your

EWCG seems off, but 42 lbs for the tail seems too light.

Good point Phil. I found that the center line of my mains is actually 2" forward of the wing leading edge datum in a level attitude, as opposed to aft of the Datum on the Kitfox drawing. Gotta' measure everything accurately... I'm sure Josh did.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Hi Josh, Your EFI W&B vs Ross's 912IS may explain the difference in your calcs.
    Scott Noble
    Kitfox SS7

My mains are -1.4” my EFI set up is lighter than the carbs. I weighed everything. Extra weight came from the extra alt and intercooler. I have the same prop as Ross. I have a lithium battery up front. My prop spacer is solid steel and could probably be lighter. My exhaust is ceramic coated which could add some weight. I’m really at a loss to explain it. I’m 42lbs on the tail with an 8” tundra lite and T3. Double checked everything today.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Josh, if you have the W&B spreadsheet it should be a simple matter to subtract out the estimated weight and CG of each extra item you have added (ext. alternator, intercooler, ceramic exhaust, EFI, prop spacer, etc.) and explore with the spreadsheet until you figure it out. Its all just mathematics and the spreadsheet makes it quick and easy.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Hey Josh,

Not sure I can add much - Dave did some nice research re the similarities/differences between yours and my plane. I am sure you will check everything but if your figures are right, then having to fly with 40lb of fuel and 38lb in the luggage compartment is not a bit deal - in fact I would seldom fly with less fuel than that and always have a toolbox and other stuff in the luggage compartment. If I am by myself and light on fuel, I have a bag of diver weights that I put in the baggage compartment as it is much more balanced (especially using flaps and trim for final) with weight back there.

Or, as suggested by others, a bit of lead back near the tail wheel makes a heap of difference. I tried it but didn't like it back there where I couldn't secure it well and it was not convenient to take it in and out as needed.

If it is what it is, then apart from your Kitfox being a bit heavy, I don't see it as being a huge issue.

best

ross
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)