Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Changing out a 912 80 HP in a model IV

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Changing out a 912 80 HP in a model IV

Im replacing my original 912 80HP with a new one.
    Its going into my Model IV and so far the removal of the original engine has gone smoothly. The new engine is unpacked on the bench,
    1. I switched the intake and carbs so that it will fit into the Model IV round cowl engine mount.
    2. The CDI is in the way of the oil tank.
    3. The spider is interfering with the tank.
    4. The tank is too tall for the model IV so I had it shortened, the screen is still to tall and the oil intake tube inside the lid of the tank is too long. I'm really enjoying this, said no one ...ever.
    I can't wait to start the Dynon EMS D10 install. So, anyone else done this? Pointers, Spoiler alerts ... anything, ... anyone?

Default Re: Changing out a 912 80 HP in a model IV

Why do you need to modify the oil tank? I've had two of these planes and both used the stock tank...

I modified the firewall side of the engine mount with a tab to accept the ignition systems. Link
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I shortened my oil tank also, as did a guy in California. The firewall was made per the plans. I only removed the round portion on the bottom, so there were no changes to the pickup tube or the screen.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The original tank was shorter by a couple inches to accommodate the round cowl. otherwise the oil door on the top won't close. The tank ends up crushing the electrical braid on the back of the engine. The new tube in the lid is going to have to be shortened as well, it goes the full length of the oil tank as does the screen.
    I like the placement of your modules. Did you have to lengthen the plug wires or did you use what you had? I"ll check on it today and start the fabrication process. I am going to have some help here for a week so I think I can get er done when my buddy arrives. He's an airplane guy from Alaska and pretty much works for food when he's on my place.

I"ll send some pics as well.

Are the early and late oil tanks a different length,also shifting the modules away from heat and vibration to the cabin side of the firewall can only be a good thing.

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

Why not use your old oil tank ?
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW