Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: New KF2 Build: What needs to be done to Upgrade to 3 or 4?

Question New KF2 Build: What needs to be done to Upgrade to 3 or 4?

To anyone with KF2 knowledge/experience:

What would you do to improve the airframe to increase GW and flying characteristics?

I currently have a 90 build KF2 and only have about 8 hours on it so far. I have an opportunity to acquire a KF2 kit that is ready for covering. Can anyone point me to a thread that deals with upgrades and modifications to the KF2 that would bring it on par with the KF3 or KF4?

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: New KF2 Build: What needs to be done to Upgrade to 3 or 4?

To do this you would need to re-manufacture most of the fuselage. You are far better off to start with a 3 or 4 if that is what you want.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I agree with av8r3400, it would be more work than it would be worth to try and convert it to a newer model as there are so many significant structural differences.

A Model 2 is a super lightweight hotrod with a 582 on it, and it can handle a 912 (1st 912 Kitfox was a Model 2), so if it were me I would just keep it nice and lIght and enjoy it the way it is. Those early Kitfoxes and Avids were a lot of fun. They are incredible STOL planes. More like Super STOL than STOL.

Connect with SkySteve here on the forum. He has a very early Kitfox that he converted to a 912ul and he flies it all over the place, having a blast with it. And as I recall, he flies with a lot of other Kitfoxes, most obviously newer. So don't underestimate the capabilities of older Kitfoxes. The old ones being so light were super fun to fly.

I agree completely with av8rps. The model 2 is a much different airplane from the model 4's and later models. No better or worse. The model 2 in the attached video belonged to my good friend and it's the plane I had my first tailwheel experience in. It prepared me very well for my model 4/1200/912ul. I had many hours of "unofficial" tailwheel training in it. It made my "official" training with a CFI to get my endorsement much easier. The model 2 was just as much fun as the 4, it takes off and lands shorter but it is slower. A friend had a model 3 with model 4 wings, also a 912ul. I never flew it but according to him it never performed like the true model 4's. See the video. It's pretty Impressive to me. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEomp5N3qxI