Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: GSC Propellor

Default GSC Propellor

I have been looking at a couple of older uncompleted Kitfoxes and seem to be seeing these older models have a GSC propellor. I do remember them from years ago but to be honest, I haven't heard much about them in a long time.
    So, my question is, are these a decent prop or are they pretty much regulated to hangar wall art?
    One of the planes I am looking at is 20+ years old with 0 hours on the engine/prop. Being a wood prop and no maintaince done I am wondering if this prop is still good. Stored indoors I doubt it was hurt at all but one never knows.

Default Re: GSC Propellor

Pretty much wall art. GSC recommends replacement blades at 5 years IIRC.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

WOW!!! Bummer. Even though it has never been used it is trash? I guess that is just another addition to the list of negatives I am accumulating on the purchase of this 'fox.

Quote Originally Posted by Av8r_Sed View Post
    Pretty much wall art. GSC recommends replacement blades at 5 years IIRC.
    Wouldn't that be 5 years of use, Paul? Surely the blades don't deteriorate like spoiled meat?
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Can't help wondering if 5 years is the only factor. Other wood props have no such restrictions. I would not give up on it yet. I would give the factory a call and see what they say.

Not so fast. A friend bought a model 2 that had never flown after it was finished and sat for about 20 years. It had a 582 with the GSC 3 blade. Between me and my buddy, we flew the pants off it for a couple of years with no problem. Another friend had a Kolb III with a 582/GSC. The blades started changing pitch, turning in the hub. I really couldn't blame the prop. The Kolb sat outside in the weather for several years. We figured the wood blades would swell and shrink with the weather. GSC props are not my 1st choice but there's a bunch of them flying that have given good service. They seem to pull pretty good and perform fairly well. They just need some extra care. James Thomas

No problems with ours so far, admittedly always hangared and flown in good weather only. I vaguely remember Dad telling me that the GSC prop is good for 5 Years or 500 hrs (whichever is sooner).

I've read lots of comments about certain props being on the heavy side for Rotax gearbox limits, does anyone know how the 3 blade GSC prop stacks up, is it on the heavy / light side?

Mine became wall art after 300 hours of total time in use. One blade started to turn in the hub while in flight reducing my rpms to 4900 wide open throttle on the 912ul. We checked proper torque and it was spot on but if you do over torque the blades they are damaged and failure is possible.
    When I went to removed my GSC prop, all three blades had black tape on the hub ends to make the aluminum hub grip the blades better. Indications of one of the previous owners having had problems with the blades staying put.

I gave up and bought an IVO and never looked back.

They are nice looking props though so attach an electric motor and hang it in your shop or hangar for a nice overhead fan.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Ahh...yes.... I do remember that we had the hub machined down a few thou (or there abouts) during the build process to give a better clamp as per someones recommendation.

I use my old GSC prop everyday ....... as exterior wall art for my shop:
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos