Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PCAS Monroy ATD-300

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

Default PCAS Monroy ATD-300

Hi everyone,

I had a close call last week and am considering a passive collision
    avoidance system.

I think my wig wag landing lights and strobes from Aeroleds saved my bacon. the 172 passed level from 1 oclock to my 9 from out of the late evening sun while I was in the downwind of a private unregistered strip. I had completed a position report on the enroute freq a minute or two earlier and changed to the airfield freq and called the downwind, I was completing the landing check, when my passenger called "plane", I looked up to see it go by at the 11 pos 100yds away. I think if I didn't have a passenger , I don't think I would of ever known of it's presence!

I have tried the Zaon XRX last year , but was unable to calibrate its internal compass , it did not like the electonics in my dash, so I sent it back.

I am now considering the Monroy ATD-300 with the externally mounted antenna .

I know of the pcas limitations , but, just maybe one might save an incident, alerting of an aircraft that your mark II eyeballs can't see while your head is swiveling, also a person has to look at the panel once in a while !

Anyone use one of these, are they another useful tool ? Experiences ?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW

Default Re: PCAS Monroy ATD-300

Kevin , Dan B has a traffic alert device but I'm not sure of the name brand.
    It's about the size of a pack of cigarettes and sits on top of the glare shield. Seems to work pretty good.

I purchased a new Area 500 Garmin gps and the ADS-B receiver also from Garmin. It's amazing how many aircraft are out there that you don't see with your eyes but this thing finds. Sometimes you still can't see them even when you know where to look. Kind of alarming at times.

Glad you saw yours in time. The other guy likely never saw you at all and never knew how close he came to another aircraft.

P.S.
    I also fly 100% of the time with all strobes and the AeroLed wig-wags going.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

I know a fellow that installed a very basic smoke system. He pops a couple second burst on downwind and base at every field. This was his solution after he survived a middair. Something to consider or do what I do and stay below 1000agl where the spam cans don't fly.

LOL. Looks like your finger got stuck on the zero and added an extra one!
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

Didn't want to get the safety police excited and for people to start quoting 91.119.

Oh yea. I must have misread your post. I thought you said you were landing!
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

I have the ATD300 but haven't used it yet... Would be interested in real life experiences.

Thanks
    Tommy Walker in Alabama

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

Hi, Where did you mount the unit ? The external antenna ?

I ordered the ATD - 300 with the external antenna ,I am looking at putting the unit on the glareshield center and am looking at places for the external antenna to go .

If you have pictures of your install , I would be grateful
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW

We used it on C-140 but just mounted it on the glareshield and used local antenna.... Sorry
    Tommy Walker in Alabama

I have a Zaon PCAS mounted in my glare shield.
    I have a couple of pictures showing the mounting configuration in the top of my glare shield. I didn't want the whole instrument sitting on top of the glare shield so I made a canted mounting so the face of the instrument shows.

I don't have a good picture of the final PCAS install but you can see it in the picture of my finished panel.

I don't have a picture of the PCAS antenna mounting, but I used a blade type DME/Transponder antenna for the PCAS. There is a minimum recommended distance it must be placed from your transponder antenna. I use the bulb type transponder antenna mounted under the passenger side of the fuselage and the PCAS antenna is mounted back under the baggage compartment so as to meet the minimum separation distance required.
    Attached Images Attached Images