Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Radio gone bad

Default Radio gone bad

Three times over the past 30 days my radio has quit receiving. When it is cool it works fine, but when it warms up it has quit receiving. I can transmit just fine. When it quits, there is no warning, it just stops receiving and usually won't work again until in the cool of the morning on the next day. The radio is an older Terra TX 760D. I have checked all wires, in-line fuse and antenna connections at the radio and antenna. I plan to pull the radio out of the tray and check the connectors for dirt and/or gunk. Any ideas?

Yesterday I took a one hour flight to another airport and back. It worked great when I left and when I arrived at the neighboring airport. When I departed the other airport it worked fine, then I realized I could no longer hear other aircraft making location calls. As I neared my home airport I tried to get the ATIS which confirmed I could not receive. I also tried to monitor my home airport tower, no luck. Hoping I could transmit I called my home airport tower, explained I had lost com and told of my intention to set up for a straight in for runway 16, squawk 7600 and I would call from 5 miles and 2 miles out, and requested a light gun upon arrival. I made my calls and hit ident on my transponder before each call, set up for my straight in and called tower to report traffic I was seeing. I got their green light on my 1 mile final. Upon touchdown I received a red/green light which I reported. I told them which taxiway I would take and that I would cross another runway with caution. I got a green light, which I reported. After clearing all runways and the hold short line I called ground and reported which taxiway I was going to take and which ramp I would be going to. Another green light. After shutdown I called the tower on my cell phone to thank them for their help. When a controller answered the phone I identified myself with name and tail number and thanked him for their help. He answered, "Hello, hello... is anyone there... I can't hear you". Then laughted. He thanks me for the radio calls and for providing my intentions and we had a good laugh. It's great to have good controllers who understand their roll is to help pilots. A great team. But, I really don't want to do that again!
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

Default Re: Radio gone bad

First off, good job on the radio out procedures Steve.
    Second , might be time to retire the Terra. Most have been removed from Kitfoxs around here years ago due to break downs and getting them repaired was such a pain.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Wow. That's literally the first time I have ever heard of anyone actually using the light gun. Great job! Sounds like it worked as planned.

I had it happen to me too but on final approach at Phoenix Deer Valley airport in my first model 3. I ran my battery down while using the power sucking strobes and position lights close to sunset. The poor little 912 coudn't keep up with the power usage and when I keyed the mic there wasn't enough power to transmit. Light guns for me. When I cleared the runway and shut off the lights I had enough power to transmit again to the tower. I thanked them for the light gun help.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

My Terra com was scrapped after only 28 hours of service and a $600 repair that took about 3 months to complete. I did manage about 350 hours on the transponder before it died.

Bill W.
    Classic IV 912ul

Yes, I agree. It looks like it might be time for the old Torah Torah Terra to go. I just don't want to spend the money right now for one of those new small, round, lightweight radios that actually work. I mean it will take up less space on my panel and increase the useful load of my plane.
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    SkySteve's SPOT Page

I'm considering the MGL 6V. Anyone have a good source?
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    SkySteve's SPOT Page

Steve , I think I've read a couple of our members are running the MGL with good results so far. I'm trying one if my MicroAir goes south for any reason.
    Lowell might have one in his new model 4 if my memory hasn't completely failed me.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

So far my Terra still works.

My Mangy Fox project just got an iCom A210 for the panel at Airventure.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I've got a V10 and I love it. Ordered the radio and pre wired harness direct from MGL for same price as anywhere else. They seem to keep all their distributor prices the same as theirs. Ordered direct since going through Spruce would have added a bunch for me in taxes.