Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A little help for a buyer

Default Re: A little help for a buyer

If I understand correctly the IV is supported on account of the European market. Don't quote me but I thinks its because it qualifies as an ultralight there.
    Eddie
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Interesting I wonder how many would still buy a IV here in the states over a 5+ if it was still sold.

Thanks all,

I'm definitely into flying...not building. I will be operating out of a short rough strip and feel that a tail wheel is best in playing the game of ground-loop vs. nose-over. Did both while flying the bush in Alaska...one's embarrassing the other very expensive.

I'm not sure how to find a local Kitfox owner. There is a map on this forum of owners, but I can't get it to work. I live in central Texas if any of you know someone down this way?

I probably should go with a 5 or above in that I'm six foot/210 lbs. Also, I want to stick with the more common Rotax engine 912** . There's a nice SS on Barnstormers that looks good except it has a Jabiru. The web has slightly too many bad comments on Jabs.

There is another SS that is a little over my price range and worse it looks like a Cub-Scout ( I believe it was to look like a Blue Angle, but...Opps). What's a paint job cost?

There's a 3 with wide-body (look for green) that is extremely well priced, and almost complete, but I'm thinking that if hasn't flown or is even under 50 hours that I have no idea what I'm getting into.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Horsefly View Post
    Thanks all,

I'm definitely into flying...not building. I will be operating out of a short rough strip and feel that a tail wheel is best in playing the game of ground-loop vs. nose-over. Did both while flying the bush in Alaska...one's embarrassing the other very expensive.

I'm not sure how to find a local Kitfox owner. There is a map on this forum of owners, but I can't get it to work. I live in central Texas if any of you know someone down this way?

I probably should go with a 5 or above in that I'm six foot/210 lbs. Also, I want to stick with the more common Rotax engine 912** . There's a nice SS on Barnstormers that looks good except it has a Jabiru. The web has slightly too many bad comments on Jabs.

There is another SS that is a little over my price range and worse it looks like a Cub-Scout ( I believe it was to look like a Blue Angle, but...Opps). What's a paint job cost?

There's a 3 with wide-body (look for green) that is extremely well priced, and almost complete, but I'm thinking that if hasn't flown or is even under 50 hours that I have no idea what I'm getting into.

John
    I have a IV and have sat in it a few times. I'm 6'2" about 185. Im pretty tall and kinda lanky. and the IV is what I would call SNUG. I can still operate it fine. If you have more width than length IV I feel would be pretty tight.

FYI, I fly an SS7 and am 5"10", 210 lbs and fit just fine with about 6" headroom to spare. HOWEVER, a couple of times in bad turbulence with the seat belt cinched tight I have banged my head on the skylight pretty hard. Therefore I would be quite leery of purchasing a plane with only a couple inches of head clearance sitting on the ground.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    FYI, I fly an SS7 and am 5"10", 210 lbs and fit just fine with about 6" headroom to spare. HOWEVER, a couple of times in bad turbulence with the seat belt cinched tight I have banged my head on the skylight pretty hard. Therefore I would be quite leery of purchasing a plane with only a couple inches of head clearance sitting on the ground.
    Do the 5 through 7 have the same cabin dimensions?

I believe so.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I'm 6 ft and 1/2 inch tall and weigh 185-195 (depending on lifestyle at the time), have a 34 waist with a 32 inseam, and fit just great in my Model 4-1200. I've also flown with a 245 lb friend who is slightly shorter than me, and with the clear plexi bubble doors we were both quite comfy. My Model 4 is way more comfortable for me than a Cessna 152 by comparison.

Would a bigger cabin be nice? Maybe? I also have a Just Aircraft Highlander, which has a huge cabin, and has lots of extra room. But in reality I like the snug feel of my Kitfox 4. Kind of feels like you put it on rather than just crawling in it.

Best thing to do is to go sit in different Kitfoxes to determine which one you prefer.

Quote Originally Posted by av8rps View Post
    I'm 6 ft and 1/2 inch tall and weigh 185-195 (depending on lifestyle at the time), have a 34 waist with a 32 inseam, and fit just great in my Model 4-1200. I've also flown with a 245 lb friend who is slightly shorter than me, and with the clear plexi bubble doors we were both quite comfy. My Model 4 is way more comfortable for me than a Cessna 152 by comparison.

Would a bigger cabin be nice? Maybe? I also have a Just Aircraft Highlander, which has a huge cabin, and has lots of extra room. But in reality I like the snug feel of my Kitfox 4. Kind of feels like you put it on rather than just crawling in it.

Best thing to do is to go sit in different Kitfoxes to determine which one you prefer.
    Thank you. I'm trying to find a Kitfox in Texas to look at, but no luck yet.