Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: EIS 2000 Connections

Default EIS 2000 Connections

Hi all I am looking for connection ideas for the Grand Rapids EIS 2000. I have the DB25 with 25 wires out the back but only about a 6inch lead on each. How do most handle the connections to this.
    Norm

Default Re: EIS 2000 Connections

For what it's worth, Norm, I usually prefer soldered connections, dressed with adhesive-lined heat shrink tubing.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

That is one of my thoughts but do you have a quick disconnect other than the DB25 from the back of the EIS. Also if anyone has pictures of their install please feel free to post. I am looking for any ideas at this point. Also has anyone used the EIS from a 582 on the 912? What modifications do you have to do to get it working?

On my last build I did both solder and crimped to see which ones would hold up better, after 200 hours neither have failed.

Jim

Do you have the wiring diagrams showing what color goes to which sensor? When I needed a special extra long harness for a different project. I called Grand Rapids they were very helpful and said no problem. When my new harness arrived it was 12' long with all the wires connected to the 25 pin plug. As I remember it cost about $75 US including freight. They will supply you with whatever hookup and operating instructions you need. They also have any sensors you might need. It's a good system and I liked it. The big red warning light is great, mount it at the top of your panel so it's at the edge of your vision. If anything goes out of your set parameters that big red light starts flashing you can't miss it. The unit automatically switches to the proper screen and flashes the out of limits reading. No need to constantly scan the instrument readings. Just fly the plane and enjoy, it does all the watching.

Yes I have the connector with all the wires attached. Also all the wireing diagrams for the unit. I did not notice the red warning light in the installation I previously flew with. Sounds like a winning combination. Looking for ideas for the best way to hook up for neatness, servicability, and a professional look. I considered the knife style connectors used by some in the aviation community. I am now thinking, solder with heat shrink and use the DB 25 as the connector.

Norm,
    I have been wiring aircraft since 1980. I currently work in the hardware wiring and interconnect design department of a major defense contractor.
    To meet your requirements for your harness I would start with removing the 6" pigtails and installing new wires. Pigtails are not used in any professional installation.
    Crimp or solder are reliable if done properly. The reason crimps are more widely used in military and commercial is due to the ease of attaching a wire to a contact with consistent results.
    Solder connections require a greater attention to detail in tinning the wire prior to installation in the contact and during soldering to the contact. Wicking of solder up under the insulation causes stress points and can lead to breaking of the wire under the insulation. Another potential issue with soldering is "bird caging" or separation of the strands due to wire movement or flexing after the wire is soldered into the cup.
    Wiring is not rocket science but you DO want it to be reliable! If you have any specific questions please let me know.
    Regards
    Jeff
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF