Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kitfox vs. Highlander

Default Re: Kitfox vs. Highlander

What makes me chuckle are the various manufacturers who have come up with a variety of airframes that they claim beats the KF. There are several in Europe.

They make claims of "exceeding Kitfox performance" very time. This proves that KF is still the original and the standard that others strive to meet. Until now, I'm not convinced that any manufacturer has met the same standard.

A question: is the Highlander really comparable to a 7? Surely it's a similar size to the 4?
    Kitfox 4 (1050)
    912UL
    Based in UK

Has anyone seen the Skyraider Frontier first hand? It looks interesting. The Empty weight is higher (I would assume due to use of Lycoming) but carries a high gross weight and very large baggage area. Seems like getting closer to Super Cub territory but looks like it could qualify as ELSA.
    Dave

Considering I routinely run with 12 pounds strapped to the tail wheel spring (and this is with a 582) that I can take off when I load up my "extended baggage" having a big cargo area is very nice! My cargo goes from the back of the seat to the front of the vertical fin. I have had it loaded up with 60-80 pounds rountinely and no ill handling issues. Of course, I put as much weight as far forward as I can, but it is a great place for my sleeping bag and other emergency gear that is left in the plane at all times. I for one think that you can never have enough cargo space and it is up to the pilot to secure the load properly!

If I'm not mistaken there was a time that Kitfox looked into supporting and or selling an extended baggage compartment. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it was decided not to do this for safety reasons. Yes, if one keeps a very close eye on where the weight is at...sure you can "get away with it". But how many pilots have been killed due to that one last oops"? If it is built with the potential of too much weight placed aft, we all know it will be just a matter of time before we hear about it. I would rather be leaning towards a margin of safety than the other end of the stick, but then again...that is personal preference. My opinion is if you are going to be hauling the kitchen sink, then go get the right tool for the job.
    Dan B
    Mesa, AZ

Hi all,
    I have been trying to decide between these 2 planes for over 6 months and committed to making purchase this fall as planned! I have spoken with the guys at Highlander as well as many Highlander forum members! From what I have learned the Highlander can be a 110 mph plane, but most are in 100 mph range. On floats, 90-95 is average and 100 achievable if its clean and light! Both planes have there obvious advantages in speed and stall! The large baggage area in the Highlander is for me a huge deciding factor for camping etc. The speed of the Kitfox is so appealing though! I agree with all on both sites that you cant go wrong with either decision, just have to decide what is more important!

Regarding the SS 7, does anyone have any realistic cruise speeds on Floats/amphibs? This could be a huge deciding factor to a Kitfox for me!

Thank You,

Bandit

If you really want to compare aircraft, go to the factories or visit builders and look at the aircraft without covering. Look at the following:
    Quality of welds and level of finish
    Controls, are they push rods or cables?
    Drag and anti-drag bracing in the wings. Do the tubes terminate in weldments or are they simply crimped ends.
    Plywood used for ribs. Is it aircraft quality spruce ply or something else? How many laminations?
    Floorboards… plywood or OSB?
    Can aircraft be built as a tricycle gear or only as a taildragger?
    How complete is the kit? What “options” must you buy to get a “basic” airplane?
    How many aircraft are flying? Hundreds or thousands?

I've seen the brand "H" videos. They have expensive balloon tires mounted just to do whoopee take offs and landings. I'll bet the aircraft doesn't do anywhere near the advertised 110 mph with all that rubber hanging in the breeze.

John Pitkin

If you go and read, owners are saying they are losing only a few miles an hour with the big bush wheels, (which surprised me also)., but that is not what I am trying to compare. If I want big tires I will buy them, and no matter what plane I choose I think it will affect either plane equally. And as far as how the planes are built, I do not know yet, but, Both Kitfox and Highlander owners are confident in showing strength and quality of construction, and I will assume for now, that that is correct and will visit the factory before the purchase. My main things is the trade off with cruise to STOL given equal pilot skills, and maybe baggage area.

I would love to hear some actual cruise speeds on floats or amphibs!

Thanks,
    Bandit

I would appreciate any response from people who have personally compared the 2!

(Bandit, my apologies, I edited your post rather than quoting it. I will try to get it restored ASAP.)
    Last edited by Av8r3400; 09-13-2011 at 08:59 PM.

I've flown along side Steve Henry, the dead stick take off guy, a couple of times. I was more impressed with his skills than the airplane's. Highlanders have a smaller wing than the Kitfox and his weighed near 800 pounds empty, so it wasn't anything that blew my skirt up when it came to performance. If you know your plane, like Steve, you can make it do almost anything, but it takes a lot of hours. Just has done a good job of marketing their plane as the ultimate backwoods machine, but it really isn't anything super special, at least to me.
    Ty
    Kitfox IV-1200

I first saw the Highlander at the Franklin,NC airport which is about 20 minutes from my mountain cabin. I was very impressed with the performance of the plane. It was a STOL's STOL.
    As the factory was only about an hour away in Wahalla,SC I decided to go see where it was made. After driving down Duck Pond road in the middle of fields and mountains I could not imagine an aircraft factory located here. I saw a large building marked Just Aircraft so pulled in. It is located on the edge of a lake with a short gravel boat ramp extending at about a 30 degree angle into the lake. I later found out that this was their airstrip !....WOW !
    I met Troy at the factory and he gave me a very nice tour of the plant.In a nutshell I thought this was a well made quality aircraft. I really wanted one. It had lots of room,made of 4130,conventional flight controls and looked nice. However, there was one problem for me...price. At my age I just didn't want to build AND there are few used Highlanders available and they carry a high price.
    I had first seen the Kitfox at Sun and Fun when the aircraft first premiered. I liked it then and thought this might be a nice option for me as there are a lot of them out there.
    I found a very nice 4 thanks to John McBean and have had the aircraft for a number of years now. I am very happy with it and have made a number of mods to suit me even better.
    Would I still like to have a Highlander...you bet ! BUT the bottom line for me is having an airplane you can live with that does not cost a fortune and you enjoy flying . It has to fit in with the rest of your life !
    The Kitfox is the 14th aircraft I have owned. I like it. Is it the best of all the others...No. Does it suit my needs at this time...absolutely ! It is cheap to fly,fun, takes off on a dime (100 hp would be nice though)
    So, as I said before, it depends onwhat you want to do with the aircraft. They are all good.(or at least most)
    Dick
    Fox 4
    912UL