Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

View Poll Results: Did you license your Kitfox, designed for 1550#, at 1320#?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

8 40.00%
  • No

12 60.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1320 vs 1550

Default 1320 vs 1550

I know this has been discussed a lot on this forum previously, but I’m curious about how many builders of the models designed for a max. gross weight of 1550 lbs. have licensed their airplanes at 1320#. I think I know most of the pros & cons, but I’d also be interested in any further comments.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Default Re: 1320 vs 1550

I'll be going 1320.
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF

I went with 1550 and plan to keep doing a 3rd class medical. Now we have the Basic Med option. If I want to let my FAA medical expire I can still use my plane at 1550.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

When I registered mine I didn’t use the LSA specific application. Is that necessary, or can you just show 1320# max. on your weight & balance calculations?

I’m leaning towards the same as you Phil, but wonder if I might be making a mistake in my situation.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

I am going with 1320 when I register my SS7, I think there will be more buyers at the time this one would be sold down the road at this weight. I have not looked into the legalities of changing the weight at a later time to up the weight. I just sold this past week an Aeronca L16A that I was able to up the weight from 1220 to 1300 due to an installation of some extra brace tubes that were installed at some point in it's past life. I know this one is a certified plane and somewhere there was a 337 for this, maybe one can or can not change the weight on an expermental.

I do not know if this is correct, however, it is my impression that a builder of experimental amateur built aircraft can use any gross weight up to the design limit of the machine and can change from 1320 to 1550 on a SS7 by calculating a new weight and balance. It might be that the a/c would have to go into a 5 hr phase one flight test test series and have a DAR issue a revised airworthy certificate. ????????????????

IMHO.. simply use 1320 on your W&B.. DO NOT use the LSA application. It is still an E-AB. You can always increase gross weight but can not go down and remain eligible to be flown by a Sport Pilot.
    John McBean
    www.kitfoxaircraft.com

"The Sky is not the Limit... It's a Playground"

Quote Originally Posted by neville View Post
    I do not know if this is correct, however, it is my impression that a builder of experimental amateur built aircraft can use any gross weight up to the design limit of the machine and can change from 1320 to 1550 on a SS7 by calculating a new weight and balance. It might be that the a/c would have to go into a 5 hr phase one flight test test series and have a DAR issue a revised airworthy certificate. ????????????????
    This is correct, but it is for all intents and purposes irreversible. You could reduce the weight back to 1320, but the aircraft would no longer meet the definition of LSA and a Sport Pilot would not be able to fly it.

Possible resale to a Sport Pilot is the only reason to certify at the lower weight. My own thoughts are that since Basic Med, the resale may actually be close to a wash in the market. For every Sport Pilot looking for a plane, there may well be a Private or higher pilot looking for a plane who would prefer to be able to carry more weight.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

I registered mine at 1320 because it needs to be Light Sport so I can fly as a Sport Pilot. As others have said, I also felt the resale would be better as a Light Sport.

The way things are now (basic Med) if I had a Private Pilot certificate I would register at 1550. I can still reregister at the higher weight if I decide to get a PPL, but you can never come back down to Light Sport as I understand it.

John, if you are PPL go for the 1550 in my opinion. There are many times I wish I had another 100 lbs or so additional rating.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I'm planning on going with the 1320. I have my Private and BasicMed, but my wife talks of getting her license (she does not want to be the clueless wife/passenger if I were conk out while airborne) and I figure it will be cheaper and quicker if she just gets the Light Sport license flying my plane.
    - Gary
    S7 SuperSport Tri-gear
    w/Rotax 912, Oratex, Dynon