Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Kitfox IV - The fun begins!

Default Kitfox IV - The fun begins!

Hi All,
    I've been lurking around TeamKitFox for years, registered as a member several weeks ago... and FINALLY picked up a Kitfox last week. I have always been drawn to the STOL capability of the Kitfox, and love the folding wings.

I have been a PPL for 6 years, with 99% of my time in a 1946 Cessna 140.

The Kitfox IV I purchased was well built (IMO), and everything is 'there'. The Kitfox was built over a 4 year period, and entered in to phase 1, but never exited (health related). I've been in contact with a DAR who assures me completion of phase 1 shouldn't be a big deal.

I have several questions I hope the grey beards here can help answer...

1. My plane has a 65HP Rotax grey head 582. The previous owner owner ran the engine several times per year, up until about 9 years ago. At that time the tanks and motor were mothballed. I have a bunch of experience with 2T snowmobile and dirt bike motors, and IMO this motor 'looks' good.
    That being said, am I better off to remove and trade/sell the 582 and plan for a 912? Which 912? 912ULS or 912UL? My research thus far points me to a 912ULS. Can any of my 582 FFW components be re-used? How 'available' are used 912FFW kits? I reached out to Yoda here on the forums, but never received a reply regarding his used 912 equipment.

2. What gear do I have? Is it adequate for back country flying? I'm not planning to get too crazy...

3. The tires are 20 years old. What tires do you recommend? I'd like something 24" or bigger. Does that mean I need new brakes as well? If so, what do you recommend?

4. Most Kitfox' I see have clear doors top to bottom. Where is the best place for clear bubble doors?

5. Any Kitfox owners in Utah? I've been in contact with SkySteve so far. There are several member on the map in my area (Morgan Utah), but no contact info.

I've attached some pictures ... hopefully they come through. I bought the plane listed in the classified, here:
    http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=8485

Thanks all! I look forward to this new adventure!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Kitfox IV - The fun begins!

Nice! You’ll have some fun. Personally, for a bush machine, I think it’s hard to beat a model iv with a 912ULS

You can make your own clear doors out of Lexan. If you want bubble doors, check with LP aeropastics.

I can’t answer the question about the brakes but the gear should be good enough until you decide it isn’t. Some bungee owners will probably chime I.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Default Re: Kitfox IV - The fun begins!

Keep us posted on your progress. I'm building a IV right now and plan to put in a 912 ULS. Congrats!