Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Getting ready to order

Default Re: Getting ready to order

Joe, don't get fixated on the lightest tail weight. As Scott says, the somewhat extra weight of a good heavy duty, and shock mounted, tailwheel is well worth the somewhat reduced baggage capacity. Even with a chock full baggage compartment of light weight camping gear, it is hard to get up to 150 lbs.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Joe, the basic kit comes with a good tail wheel. It's a Matco. It comes with a a leaf spring that absorbs the punishment. It's light weight and low drag. I've had it on there for 3 1/2 years and 1,300 hours with no issues. (On gravel bars yesterday with AirFox and we both made it on and off with all the airplane parts intact.) Years ago, planes had skids. I'm thinking of going back to that on KISS principle Either way, you're gonna have a blast with your FOX!

Talking Re: Getting ready to order

I won't disagree with Floog's statement (well maybe a little) but what he didn't tell you is that he is a master at wheel landings. I don't believe I have ever observed one of his landings where the tailwheel touched the ground until the last minute at very slow speed. If you consistently land like he does, a wheelchair caster would work fine as a tailwheel.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Thanks for the nice compliment, Jim. Finally, a master at something besides just hogwash
    Wheelchair caster....hmmmm??