Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 13 of 42 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeffs 340 Kitfox

Default Re: Jeffs 340 Kitfox

My exhaust arrived today. Looks pretty sweet! Got some tweaking to do on #2 and #4 but it’s close.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF

Paint update...
    A friend and I have been trying for 6 weeks to get the Stewart topcoat to flow out and look smooth. We have gone through 3 cans of "practice" paint and a couple dozen variations on application and I am extremely disappointed in Stewarts top coat. Everything we have done ends up with orange peel. This paint is very flexible and shiny, but does not flow out. At $400/gal this is unacceptable. I have called the factory and they really didn't have any answers.
    If anyone out there has any ideas, I'm all ears. My friend is tied to an STC for a certified aircraft.
    I will be using the Ekofil with PPG primer and topcoat....
    More to come...
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF

Jeff, contact Marty Feehan he does the seminars for Stewarts he can help you out. He knows how to set up the spray equipment, nice guy and will share info with you. Call Stewarts and get his phone number, his email is MartyFreehan79@gmail.com Here's his website too http://www.marty2plus2.com/contact-form.html

That's the only reason I've shy'd away from Stewarts, is I've heard problems with the top coat. Best of luck.
    Brian
    Last edited by southwind32; 05-03-2018 at 07:36 PM.

Thanks Brian. I will contact Marty.
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF

Jeff,

Orange peel is caused by these items;

Too thick of material (viscosity)

Applying the material in to heavy a coat, sometimes too light of a coat also.

Improper atomization, either gun pressure or gun tip size

Wrong reducer for conditions or temperature

Wrong catylyst for conditions or temperature

Gun pressure needs to be measured at the spray tip most guns lose additional pressure between the connector mounted gauge and the nozzle.

These are just some basics, there might be other reasons.
    James T
    Valrico, FL

James,
    Yes we have been through all of this. We have had professional aircraft painters, chemists and anyone that we thought might help take a look at what we have. We tried different guns, pressures, flows, fan spread, 4:1:1, 3:1:1 and a few variations of ratios to no avail. End result is orange peel every time. At least that part was consistent...
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF

On a happier note- my prop will be here on the 9th! Its the 80” Whirlwind GA200L STOL prop. This is the same type prop used on the Kitfox demo.
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF

Quote Originally Posted by jmodguy View Post
    James,
    Yes we have been through all of this. We have had professional aircraft painters...
    The "professional" painters may be the problem. I'll explain before you get upset with that statement.

Most painters are comfortable and familiar with solvent based systems and usually one primary system that they have used for years and know the tweaks and tricks to get good results with. A water born system to them is just sorcery or voodoo. I say this having been both a painter and later on, a tech rep for various paint companies. That said I've seen planes done with Stewart's that looked phenomenal so it can be done. I've also heard guys say they had to fight the product tooth and nail to make it work.

Honestly if I were in your shoes I would make the switch to a solvent based system. Rans uses a mixed bag of stuff, Stewart's glue, Superflite cloth, Airtech primer and PPG paints and his airplanes always look good and I have tape and ring tested them and they hold up. I have used PPG Concept and base/clear systems on fiberglass and fabric planes and it holds up just fine if you use flex additives.

Get a fresh air system like this http://axispro.com/index.php and go at it.
    James T
    Valrico, FL

James,
    I m not offended. The guy I am talking to works for a major aerospace paint manufacturer. He understands paint chemistry and has some reach back to real paint chemists for parts he needs clarification on. He even uses waterborne paints! If we meet some day I’ll tell you a story.
    I will be using PPG but my friend is reworking a Champ and is stuck with an STC and prefers to stay away from MEK (dont blame him there).
    Theres a painter here that uses PPG on planes and his method is less effort and an order of magnitude better quality than stewarts. He knows the Rans owner and uses the same system.
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF

Tail flash update...
    Had a friend of mine who is a pilot and artist design this for me. The background is grabber orange. Whadya think?
    My colors will be Grabber Orange with Tuxedo Black trim.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF