Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Oratex

Default Re: Oratex

If I were going to do that, I would just paint it. Either way, you're basically paying for your top coat twice.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Advantages of Oratex: does not require painting and lighter weight. Spraying a clear coat would negate both of those advantages. IMHO
    By the way, I used straight edge tapes because the pinked edges are unnecessary (unless you are going for a vintage look) and I had observed that with no paint fill, they seemed to collect dust.
    - Gary
    S7 SuperSport Tri-gear
    w/Rotax 912, Oratex, Dynon

Quote Originally Posted by colospace View Post
    ... with no paint fill, they seemed to collect dust.
    I'd never thought of that. It might be a real consideration if you choose dark colors.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

At AirVenture this year, I stopped by the Orotex booth and looked the aircraft that were parked there to demonstrate their product. I also examined several other covering/finishing systems, even did about 8 hours at the Stewart Systems seminar in the Fun Zone.
    The finish on the aircraft at the Orotex booth did not show their product in a good light. The finishing in the edges, cracks and corners of the surfaces looked rough. One aircraft had trim paint over some of the Orotex covering with some bleed through on the mask lines (especially at the tapes). The taping edges, as stated, looked sharp and a place for dirt/debris to collect.

Just my observations.

Ralph

If you want a show plane, don't use Oratex. If you want a light weight performer that looks great from 8' that you don't need to paint etc. use Oratex.

FYI I used urethane and being an amateur, my paint only looks good from 8 feet anyway. If I were to do it again. 100% oratex. Just my .02
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

if you have dust in your tape edges you aren't flying enough. That's how I will combat that issue.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Quote Originally Posted by aviator79 View Post
    I'd never thought of that. It might be a real consideration if you choose dark colors.
    It’s probably actually as much or more of an issue with the white color that I used... most dirt & dust seems to be darker colored. That particular issue (dirt collecting on the edges of lap joints, finish tapes, etc.) can be mitigated with a good coat of wax. Makes it easier to blow off & clean too.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Oh and John made a show plane with oratex!!
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Quote Originally Posted by Esser View Post
    Oh and John made a show plane with oratex!!

Thank you, Josh, but no... I didn't. I appreciate you and the comment though.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

I saw the Better Fabric/Oratex Tent as OSH as well. I later spoke with two different builders who covered with it. Both said the process was good. Both also said to make sure your initial order includes EVERYTHING you will need. Apparently the Supply Chain from Germany is very slow and frustrating if additional glue, fabric or other supplies are needed. One guy told me that there were some tense phone conversations with the supplier in Alaska; they hung up on him but always apologized later.

All things considered, I’m going with Oratex.