Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oratex

Default Oratex

I am going back and forth on which covering system to use, conventional system or Oratex. I have read the threads about cost, weight and time to cover.

I the interest of keeping weight down I am leaning towards Oratex. I was wondering which weight to use. 600 is good to 1323 pounds gross weight. Is this what I should use or would the 6000 be more appropriate?

Joe G

Default Re: Oratex

I think everyone that's done it will tell you to use the 6000. I've talked to the "Better Fabric" guys in Alaska and that's what they say as well.

I'm just about ready to put in my order for Oratex as that's what I will be using. I went with the notion of it being much easier to do than traditional fabric. As well as a lot less time consuming.

Other than painting my wings, I'm done covering. I used Poly Fiber. I think the finished product in PF looks a little nicer, but not much. It has a big service history advantage. However, I've spent about 530 hours on my plane so far, and about half of that has been covering and painting. It does take a lot of time, and there is a lot of spraying. Now that it's done, I'm happy with my choice, but I think if I had it to do over again, I'd try Oratex.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Hahaha. I was thinking the exact opposite. The shiny stuff is really nice. But, I like the way my Oratex came out too.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Boy, the grass seems to be greener on the other side.

I'm going through the same thought process on a Wag-Aero Cub I am restoring; Oratex or PF.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Lars had recommended the 6000 so that is what I used. Not show plane pretty, but I like to think of it as more of a vintage look. I was really loathe to try painting the whole plane in my garage, so that was my main driver in choosing Oratex. Very satisfying when you get the covering applied and stand back to see all that finished color.
    - Gary
    S7 SuperSport Tri-gear
    w/Rotax 912, Oratex, Dynon

Here's my 2 cents: After seeing both, I like the look of PF a lot better. With PF the many coats of paint fill in and feather the edges of all the tapes and seams into one pleasing whole. The Oratex has all those raw tape and seam edges that seem to stand out, making it look somewhat patched together. Also I would worry about some of those raw edges starting to peel back over time in the slipstream. From a distance it looks great though, and the time saving is undeniable.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    Here's my 2 cents: After seeing both, I like the look of PF a lot better. With PF the many coats of paint fill in and feather the edges of all the tapes and seams into one pleasing whole. The Oratex has all those raw tape and seam edges that seem to stand out, making it look somewhat patched together. Also I would worry about some of those raw edges starting to peel back over time in the slipstream. From a distance it looks great though, and the time saving is undeniable.
    I still waffle back and forth. I will say that now that it's done, I'm glad I have Poly Fiber for the reasons that Jim is saying. It does look good.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Yup, I agree. Wondering about the edges myself. I think if its done correctly those edges aren't going to lift up. The adhesive is extremely strong. Question is, did I get adequate heat and pressure applied to all those little pinked edges. I would do straight edge tapes If I were to do it again. But, I think I would do the PF if I were to cover another for the nice finish as Jim states.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Curious, if anybody has sprayed Oratex with a clear coat? To give it that more poly fiber look/shine...