Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: SkyView Adds Wireless Connectivity to Mobile Devices

Default SkyView Adds Wireless Connectivity to Mobile Devices

SkyView Adds Wireless Connectivity to Mobile Devices

One of the most requested SkyView features is here: SkyView can now connect to ForeFlight Mobile via Wi-Fi. This connectivity makes flight planning and preparation easier and more efficient for those who fly with ForeFlight, and also allows ForeFlight to benefit from SkyView’s GPS position and attitude indication.

<br/>

Seamless Flight Planning

Now you can plan your flight at home using ForeFlight Mobile’s comprehensive flight planning and flight plan filing features, then save time at the airplane by sending the planned route to your SkyView system via Wi-Fi. Flight plans sent from ForeFlight can be edited on SkyView and flown by the SkyView Autopilot. You can transfer updated flight plans between the devices at any time.

Transfer Flight Plans between Skyview and ForeFlight Mobile

Wi-Fi Adapter for SkyView and SkyView 12.0

SkyView-ForeFlight connectivity is enabled by a new Wi-Fi Adapter for SkyView that is installed in any of SkyView’s USB ports. The Wi-Fi Adapter costs $35 and can be purchased from Dynon Avionics dealers or Dynon directly. One is required for each SkyView display installed in an aircraft, maintaining system redundancy. Once configured, ForeFlight connects to SkyView via a secure WPA2-protected Wi-Fi link.

Wi-Fi Adapter for SkyView

Support for the Wi-Fi Adapter is already built into the recently-released SkyView 12.0 Software. In addition to Wi-Fi and ForeFlight connectivity, SkyView 12.0 includes over 40 new features and improvements, including Autopilot Auto-Trim, OBS Mode, customizable aircraft icons, and a new optional in-air magnetic heading calibration.
    WAAS GPS and SkyView Attitude for ForeFlight

Pilots also benefit from SkyView’s built-in WAAS GPS, which can drive aircraft position in ForeFlight. This is great for those with Wi-Fi-only iPads, and provides an additional high-availability GPS source for GPS-equipped devices.
    When connected to SkyView, ForeFlight’s attitude indicator is powered by the same IFR-capable ADAHRS installed in every SkyView aircraft. This allows your ForeFlight attitude indication and Synthetic Vision display to show the same depiction for the best possible in-flight situational awareness.

Send SkyView's GPS Position and Attitude to ForeFlight

Wireless connectivity between Dynon SkyView and ForeFlight requires SkyView 12.0 software, a Wi-Fi Adapter for each SkyView display, and a ForeFlight Mobile Pro subscription. Instructions for configuring and using these features are in the updated SkyView System Installation Guide and Pilot’s User Guide.
    For additional information, see this ForeFlight "how to" page.
    FAQ

Do I need more than one Wi-Fi Adapter in my airplane?
    Each SkyView display in the aircraft must be equipped with a Wi-Fi adapter. If you have two displays, you need two adapters. A benefit of having two adapters is that it maintains system redundancy, just like our redundant data and power lines in SkyView Network.
    How Secure is the connection between ForeFlight and SkyView?
    The link between SkyView and your iOS device is protected with secure, password-protected WPA2 encryption. This ensures that only iOS devices that you specifically authorize can communicate with your SkyView system.
    Besides flight plans, what SkyView information is sent to ForeFlight?
    As of ForeFlight 6.7, SkyView attitude and GPS information is used by ForeFlight Mobile.
    What level ForeFlight Mobile subscription do I need?
    You will need a ForeFlight Mobile Pro subscription in order to access the Wi-Fi connectivity with Dynon SkyView.
    What do I need to connect SkyView to ForeFlight?
    You'll need:

• A "Wi-Fi Adapter for SkyView" for each SkyView display you have installed
    • SkyView version 12.0 or later
    • ForeFlight Mobile Pro version 6.7 or later

Are other devices or apps supported?
    At this time, SkyView’s Wi-Fi only works with ForeFlight Mobile Pro on Apple iOS devices.
    Can I use Wi-Fi while also having the Video Input Adapter and/or a USB memory stick plugged in to SkyView?
    Yes. Although you can only connect one USB memory stick to a SkyView display at a time, you can have any or all of the different supported USB devices (USB memory stick, Video Input adapter, and Wi-Fi adapter) connected at the same time.
    I also have an Stratus that I use with ForeFlight. Can I use that and SkyView together?
    At this time, your iOS device can only be connected to either your Stratus or SkyView system at any moment. You can switch back and forth between the two from your iPhone or iPad. However, they can not be connected concurrently.

Dynon Avionics, 19825 141st Pl NE, Woodinville, WA 98072, USA425-402-0433info@dynonavionics.com

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Default Re: SkyView Adds Wireless Connectivity to Mobile Devices

Another thing I really like about the new Skyview version 12 software is the OBS mode. It allows you to set a GPS course To and From an airport (or any navigable point such as a VOR) on the exact runway heading. An existing feature tells you the descent rate to fly from your present position to the airport pattern altitude. This essentially gives you a simple GPS ILS approach to any point you choose. I don't fly IFR because neither me nor my aircraft is rated for it, but it sure is nice to know I have the capability with the Skyview to do a simplified ILS type approach in case of emergency, like getting caught out after dark, etc.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Default Re: SkyView Adds Wireless Connectivity to Mobile Devices

Drool.....
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. — Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul Zipper 110hp, G3x avionics, ss7 upgrades