Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Rotax CHT probes double duty.

Default Rotax CHT probes double duty.

So I am not using the two probes on the #2 and #3 cylinder since I am getting CHTs on all four cylinders via spark plug terminal. My question to you wise men, can I take those two probes and use them else where? I’m thinking of putting one in the rad for coolant temps which I think will work fine.

The other one I want to put in the intake manifold so I can monitor temps in there. I know this probe probably wasn’t designed for that in mind. These probes I think go up to 150C. Do they have a lower limit where they stop reading? My I take manifold shouldn’t go higher than 90C... or should I just go buy a proper manifold temp probe and stop being cheap?

If I do buy an off the shelf prob, I would probably get an automotive Bosch style one. They come with a two prong male plug. I’m assuming I can hook my one EIS wire to the other and the other to a ground and it will work just fine? It’s not proprietary Bosch stuff?
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Default Re: Rotax CHT probes double duty.

I don't see why they wouldn't work for an alternate purpose. Most likely any probe you get will be an alumel-chromel type.

They should not have a problem reading lower temperatures. In the winter I usually look at my CHTs and EGTs to get an idea of the engine temperature before I start it. I have seen them reading accurately down around 30F. I have 9 probes that I can compare (CHT, EGT and OAT).

I kind of like your idea, I can be a cheapskate too.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

With a “glass panel” I assume you can program for different types of sensors and different ranges.

I believe that those Rotax sensors are a variable resistance sender (RTD, thermistor, etc.). I’m not sure of the range, but they are surely designed for somewhere around a 12 to 24v max. circuit voltage.

The two metal alloy sensors like Phil mentioned are thermocouples. They produce a variable voltage depending on temperature. They are also mainly used for EGT measurement in aircraft.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Yeah these aren’t the thermocouple wires. Looks like the probes go up to 150C. The VDO part number show a “switch” value of 90C so I’m wondering if that means it doesn’t send below that?

I think if I make these probes work the biggest issue will be they don’t fit in an NPT boss since it’s a metric course thread pitch.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3