Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Poly Fiber or Stewart covering system??

Default Re: Poly Fiber or Stewart covering system??

Quote Originally Posted by chefwarthog View Post
    I haven’t got the chance to work with one or the other but my friend has. the first time that he work with the Stewart system it was really great and easy the second time it was in a different hanger and the heating system was in oil fuel one and some little droplets of Oil or oily soot deposit on the surface. it repel the water base product making littles fish eyes on the surface so if you are using a water base system be careful of the heating system that you choose because it can be frustrating.
    They stress a clean environment. Also lots of clean air from the compressor.

Getting droplets of oil on the surface you are trying to paint will screw up ANY paint system. Doesn't matter if its Acrylic Enamel, Lacquer, Polyfiber or Imron.

So please don't blame the paint system. A paint job is about 9 parts preparation and 1 part spraying. And even then it can sometimes get you.

Funny story (wasn't funny at the time). A friend was painting his tail feathers. But every time he rolled the airplane out in the sun, the color on the tail feathers just would not match up with the ailerons and parts of the wing. So roll the airplane back in the hanger, sand it all off, re-prime it and do it again... No kidding, he did this at least five times before he discovered the problem and got it fixed. Talk about perserverence.

I think painting, unlike any other thing we do may be considered an art form.
    For me, it's one of the hardest things to get right.

Rodney

This is strictly my opinion so take it for what its worth: I like long term tried and true stuff that has shown an extremely successful track record for 50 years on fabric covered airplanes-the Stits Polyfiber system. I don't believe any other fabric [U]system[U] can boast of a record near this long. Covering and painting an aircraft is a very labor intensive and expensive project and I only want to do it once in my lifetime. I don't mind experimenting with newer whiz-bang stuff in areas that are easier to redo if it doesn't work out. I guess this puts me into the old stick-in-the-mud category and not very "experimental", but its just my opinion as I said. Actually I do respect guys that are willing to put their time and bucks into the newer stuff to prove it out for the rest of us who come along later.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I used Pilyfiber for its ease of application, repair and for the fact that the Stewart's paint, like every other urethane paint is made with high levels of very toxic iscosionates.

The last time I painted this type of paint, I was hospitalized with iscosionate poisoning, even though it was done in a professional booth, wearing a supplied air suit.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

You have to apply the paint not drinking it.... ;-)
    Eric Therrien
    Nicolet, Qc. Ca.
    In preparation.

Crap! I knew there was something a little off with that coke I left in the spray booth!
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Smile Re: Poly Fiber or Stewart covering system??

I thought the Stewarts was supposed to be like latex or something. Don't they say stuff like you can do it in the basement, and the wife won't complain upstairs? Or have I inhaled to much MEK over the years using the polyfiber system? JImChuk

Stewart's use of the 3M glue is low fume compared to the Polyfiber MEK based products. But their paint is not "non-Toxic" by any means.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Stewart Ekopoly top coat information.
    http://www.westav.ca/pdf/EkoPoly%20Data%20pdf.pdf

Not a very complete Data Sheet. It does not address what kind of personal protective gear you would need to apply. Since it contains Icocyanates I find it difficult to believe it is safe enough to use without a specific type of air filter mask at a minimum. Wonder why that is not covered in that data sheet?
    Eddie